Shower Leak 911

Old 07-13-03, 07:50 PM
Visiting Guest
Shower Leak 911

I could really use some advice on a persistent problem I have had for the last few months. I have a rectangular shaped shower with tile walls on two sides and glass walls on the other 2 sides. The shower pan is one of those re-fab units (plastic?) you can buy at Home Depot. The tub is a seperate unit behind the shower. I have a leak that comes out behind the tub tile on the outside of the shower. I have removed a couple of the tiles and can see that the leak begins if I spray water into the back corner of the shower between the tile and the glass wall. One wall is fully glass the back wall if 1/2 tile and 1/2 glass. I have re-caulked it SEVERAL time and can't seem to find the source of the leak. When I first test it, I can spray water into the corner for 15 mintues with no water, then a couple of days later the water is back. HELP!

There are never any leakes when just the tub is used or if the shower is off.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-03, 05:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Problem could be one thing or a combination of a couple.

As you have done some testing using the spray head, it may be that the tile is in need of regrouting and sealing. Water could be infiltrating anywhere along that wall of time...where exactly cold be anyones guess. No guarantee that this will solve it.

It could be that your faucet assembly or pipes to the showerheads could be leaking, including the showerarm iitself. Can't see it without tearing out the tile/backer.

Depending on the make of shower base, this may be leaking - hairline cracks in a base is not uncommon if the base "flexes". This would be due to inadequate shower base support. Leaks may not occur immediately but after time this can become one.

So the question is not where the leak is coming from but when are you going to tear out the shower and redo it the right way?

No easy fix to this one, sorry.

Hope this helps!

Old 07-14-03, 06:52 AM
Visiting Guest
Appreciate the thoughts. Realize that there is no easy way to tell but I thought I would clarify two points. The leak is on the opposite side from the pipes so that rules those out and I can see the water run down the side of the basin which means it is either the tile or the caulk between the tile and glass. I'm sure that probably doesn't help any but thought I would mention it anyway.

Old 07-14-03, 07:08 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the clarification. Then the issue must be tile as you mentioned you have applied caulk and it just comes back, if it ever went away.

So it's rip it out time! There must be some fractures at least in the grout, I assume. Regrouting could do it but then there is no guarantee that the backer material is sound and if not, this will effect what you try and do as a repair. This sounds like it has been a problem for a while so total removal may be the best idea.

Good Luck!

Old 07-14-03, 07:28 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks, Doug. I think I may try to regrout it one last time before I break out the hammer. Do you happen to know any good contractors here in the Dallas area? I'm a transplanted Michigander. I grew up in Midland and went to MSU. I'm headed up there next weekend for VC. Can't wait to get out of this heat.