Old 07-15-03, 07:02 PM
raygu3
Visiting Guest
Angry painting bathroom again

ok i know im a bit hard headed
i painted my bathroom in flat latex cause i dont care for gloss
its starting to gator (crack)
my ? is do i need to sand all the paint off
or just the gatored area before using a semigloss?
thanks

Old 07-15-03, 07:17 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
raygu3,

I do NOT claim to be an expert on paint but using latex flat versus semiglos is not the problem. The problem is that no prep work was done properly.

Extreme cracking, sometimes known as alligatoring, is caused when a second or third coat of paint is applied before the previous coat dries completely.

Now in some cases, cracking or alligatoring is caused when the undercoat is incompatible with the type of finish coat applied to the surface. The only solution is to completely sand away the cracked or alligatored surface. Sand down those areas, apply joint compound idf necessary and then sand this so it is ready for paint. Use a damp sponge to clear all debris from walls.

Apply one coat of a good quality primer like KILZ or BIN.

Allow this to dry thoroughly, then apply a second coat of a top-quality latex paint. Your choice of flat or semigloss. This completely corrects the problem.

Just a note, if you don't already have, a good exhaust fan in the bathroom to eleviate moisture is essential.

You may want to post this question in the Decorate Forum under Painting as well.

Hope this helps!

Old 07-16-03, 09:40 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Paint failure

Sorry to hear that your hard work has gone for naught.

At this juncture, scraping or sanding off the failed paint would be the first step. Then clean the wall with TSP or spic and span. Rinse and let dry.

See if any of the remaining paint fails. Sometimes the moisture from cleaning will help loosen other marginal paint. You can fill any depressed areas with a thin coat of joint compound.

If everything is still OK, prime the wall with a good primer sealer, such as: Zinsser 123 or Kilz. This will stabilize the surface by sealing everything. You want a full, covering coat of primer. Next, paint. Use a top quality latex paint. Semi-gloss is good for bathrooms because it will tolerate frequent cleaning that tends to spoil flat finishes.

As was mentioned, make sure that your exhaust fan is up to the task and is used to remove the moisture from the bath.

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: