ceramic tile over what?

Old 07-23-03, 06:22 PM
AnneS
Visiting Guest
ceramic tile over what?

My kids' bathroom, lots of splashes, had old linoleum tile on the floor which I have removed. Underneath there is a cement floor. There was definately water leaking from cracks around the base of the tub and where the tub, floor, and wall met, or rather did not meet. I am going to put ceramic tile down with base tiles on the bottom of the walls. Will this be watertight? Do I need to put cement board down first, or can I tile directly on the concrete? Is there some sort of sealant I can use to treat the concrete if I tile directly over it? My fear of the cement board is how thick all the layers will be.

Thanks, Anne S

Old 07-24-03, 10:51 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
AnneS,

I'm glad you are thinking ahead about floor thicknesses. The issue of the children splashing water all over the place is an issue that you have to deal with. My fear is that you may have more damage than what you see. Sounds like there is a lack of caulking at tub/floor and maybe at tub lip and walls. Not sure what you have for a surround in the tub if any but if it is tile, you may have some leakage behind the tile as well.

Here is a link on ceramic tiling for walls and floors;

http://interiordec.about.com/gi/dyna...2Fdoityour.htm

Hope this helps!

Old 07-26-03, 02:31 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
if this is going over cement you will not need any backerboard,scrape any and all glue off the floor and check for any cracks as they will have to be addressed before tiling,as for the water tightness the tile will take on water if subjected to large amounts of water as most tile are not impervious, the grout will suck up the water,however you can seal the grout and that will solve that problem,you can also use a good silicone caulk at the tub edge and cure that problem as well

Old 07-26-03, 06:43 PM
AnneS
Visiting Guest
I did scrap up all the old glue, and cracks were not an issue. I layed the tile today directly over the cement. How do I seal the tile. I bought grout with whatever additive it is to make it more water resistant, should I seal it as well? I did also caulk around the tub edge before laying the tiles, do I also caulk over the grout at the edge? Thanks for your help.

Anne S

Old 07-27-03, 12:19 PM
floorman
Visiting Guest
you should seal the grout as well,when grouting take a knife and with a shrp point rum along the edge where it meets the tub cause grout will not stick to the tub,after grout is dry and before you seal use a good silicone caulk to seal that edge then seal the grout after that dries,you will have to wait about 72 hours depending on the sealer you choose to seal

Old 07-30-03, 08:10 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Sealing tile

Glazed ceramic tile does not require sealing. Keeping grout sealed according to directions on grout sealant should protect grout. Placing thirsty bathmats or towels by tub to absorb splashes will also protect floor from moisture and reduce the possibility of slipping.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: