HELP! Underlayment to go on concrete?

Old 08-11-03, 06:00 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question HELP! Underlayment to go on concrete?

Doing bathroom remodel for our 1951 slab house. Tore out all layers of vinyl floor tile down to slab... toilet is sitting on 1/2" concrete board, above the slab. (Don't know why and haven't removed the toilet yet... had hoped not to!)

We want to install a sheet vinyl floor. My question is, what is a good underlayment on top of concrete? How do you apply/install it? Do we need to remove the toilet or could we install underlayment to match the level of the existing concrete board toilet base?

Any thoughts welcome... hubby and I are vexed! THANKS!

Old 08-11-03, 06:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

Put a plastic vapor barrier (seal the overlaps with duct tape or something similar) down on the slab first, followed by 1/2" pressure-treated plywood (concrete aka masonry nails).
You really should take up the toilet (easy...just do a Search above on the how-to) to lay the new vinyl under it up to around the flange.
All that you'll need is new toilet wax ring and new brass toilet bolts (Only about $4-5 buck total).
Good Luck!

Old 08-11-03, 06:17 PM
bekka,

Unsure as to why the toilet is 1/2" up unless the flange was placed to high at time of rough in. This must be a cast flange and cast piping. I assume that the vinyl was "kinda laid" over the raised portion?

The issue of applying a cement board to the concrete floor to match height may be difficult (time consuming). Mechanical anchors can be used but ensure that the surface is filled in at any depressions. Use fasteners and ahdesive to do this.

This link may be helpful,

http://www.armstrong.com/ressheetna/article5529.asp

Good Luck!

Old 08-13-03, 04:31 PM
B
Thanks

Thanks, guys. Old Man, I like your approach and we may go there. Hubby now has decided to pull up the toilet to find out what's going on... then we'll know what's up with the flange.

In answer to your question, Doug, yes, they had laid vinyl tile flooring on top of the cement board around the toilet base... but we knew something was funky because there was a definite "lump" around the toilet. (Hence our decision to rip up the floor and figure it out.)

Thanks for the thoughts... really appreciate it!

Old 08-13-03, 06:02 PM
bekka,

You're very welcome and thanks for the feedback. Hope all goes well.

Let us know how you made out!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: