Concrete Wet Bed

Old 08-12-03, 08:23 PM
kampf369
Visiting Guest
Concrete Wet Bed

I am currently planning on replacing the tile floor in my bathroom -

The current floor was the original (about 35 years old) It is the small 1 inch by 1 inch tiles - I started to chip up a few in the closet to find that there is a 3 inch wet bed under the tile -

I am looking for the best way to remove the old tile and replace with new tile. From chipping the tile, the wet bed is not going to be smooth- there are chips coming up with the tile.

Is it possible to patch those chips? If so, what do I do then... can I screw backer board to the concrete or even through the concrete to the plywood underneath?

I think if I had a choice I would like to chip up the tiles, patch the major divets and then secure the backer board to the concret - that will raise my floor 1/4 of an inch but I think that would be ok.

Thanks for the help!!!

Fred

Or should I totally rip out the wet bed (ugh) and start over?

Old 08-13-03, 03:03 AM
gordypoo
Visiting Guest
hi 369, i would remove all the tile, get the floor as clean as possible, as far as any real small holes go, i wouldn't worry about them, the thinset will take care of them, g/l

Old 08-13-03, 06:03 AM
kampf369
Visiting Guest
Thanks much for your reply!!!! Someone advised me that he has tled over his bathroom several years ago and everything is still solid - Hi used thinset to lay the tile over the floor - Only negative is the floor will be another 1/4 inch hight which will be ok in my situration.

thanks!!!

Fred

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: