bathtub

Old 08-13-03, 09:41 AM
AAH
Visiting Guest
bathtub

I am going to start tearing out my bathroom soon and re-do. Someone said that if I do this, I might as well replace the bathtub that has been there for 15-20 years.
Two questions: I currently have a cast iron tub and I would like to replace it. Should I get another cast iron or go porcelain? and does anyone know of a good brand that is not going to leave my wallet in debt?

Is there anything I need to know that may surprise me when I put in the new tub?

Thank you

Old 08-13-03, 01:38 PM
kampf369
Visiting Guest
You are a better person than me. I am also in the beginning phase of re-doing my bathroom. Funds are limited for me. What I have decided to have the tub re-glazed and install a tub surround.

I have been reading a good bit about this and I think, for me it is the best way to go. I would think replacing the tub would be the best, however, it is going to be a lot of work. Hopefully, you have an easy way to get the tub out of your house, I don't.

Also, as an fyi.... this may or may not apply to you. I have those little tiles that are 1 x 1 (inchs) installed over a wet bed. It appears to me that my tub was put in first and then the wet bed. So, if I wanted to replace my tub, I would have to break up the 3 inchs of concret on the floor to get it out.

Again, for me.. that is not happening.

Good luck!

Fred

Old 08-13-03, 01:48 PM
AAH
Visiting Guest
Thanks Fred

It sounds like I won't know what it's actually on until I get into it. I'm pretty sure that this tub was put in after the walls were, unlike the back bathroom I did with one of those pre-fab tubs. I had to cut the thing in half.

I'm gutting the whole room out and re-tiling the walls, so I hope it will be easier to do. Did you ever look to see what the prices of tubs were? I considered glazing too, but there's a little crack by the drain and I don't know how that will work. Are you reglazing yourself or hiring someone?

Thanks

Old 08-13-03, 05:50 PM
kampf369
Visiting Guest
I am a die hard home depot/ lowes kind of guy so no fancy stuff for me. I have seen tubs for between $200 and $700 - I am guessing you can get a decent tub for $300.

I have been doing some research. I looked on-line and called a few contractors that do this- This old house did an article on it - I would not attempt to do this on my own. From everything I have read if you get someone who knows what they are doing, it is not a problem. However, I am sure there are contractors who don't have the necessary experience.

If the crack is not all the way through I understand they can repair it.

But if you have the energy to remove the tub I agree that would be the best route!

Good luck to you!

Fred

Old 08-14-03, 06:50 AM
AAH
Visiting Guest
We're tearing out this weekend and I'm not buying a tub until we know what were in for, so I'll let you know.
Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: