bathroom confusion

Old 08-13-03, 09:10 PM
LnS
Visiting Guest
Unhappy bathroom confusion

starting to renovate very old (75 yrs) bathroom which needs lots of help.
It has yellow ceramic tiles on the bottom half of the walls, which I would love to take down and either paint or put up wainscoting, but don't know what's under the tile. I have purchased the re-glazing kit to repaint the tile just in case.
I have already taken off the wallpaper that was on the upper half & primed that.
The toilet and sink shouldn't be any problem!!?? What I'm debating is what to do with the antigue blue bathtub. Finances are tight so it has to be relatively inexpensive. Would really like to install a whirlpool tub, but don't know if that's feasible. Have already purchased the re-glazing kit for the tub also, but am re-thinking that.
Second thought is removing tub and replace with shower stall.
Any thoughts on the subject??

Here's a couple of PS's: I rent my house, landlord is willing to chip in some money for re-do, won't pay for whole thing because it's not deemed necessary. AND, am trying to do most of this myself but I just had surgery on my spine so there will be alot I will have to have friends do or hire out.

Thanks for any ideas or words of wisdom.
LnS

Old 08-13-03, 09:41 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Bathroom remodel

First, you need to look at your budget. Then, you need to go shopping to see how much fixtures and materials cost. You need to also pin down the landlord as to exactly how much $$ he is willing to contribute. And, hiring labor is expensive.

Local building codes may require the bathroom to have a tub if it's the only bathroom in the house. A remodeler shower/tub costs much less than a whirlpool. You may not be able to get a whirlpool into the bathroom. If tub is in decent condition, the least expensive option is to decorate around it.

Reglazing kits tend not to be for the long haul from the standpoint of durability. Coating tiles on the wall where tiles are not exposed to hard water, cleaning products & chemicals may be more successful than on the tub.

I always caution investing money in property you do not own. I have always painted and papered and left properties I lived in over the years. In retrospect, I wish I had not because I was never in one place for that long.

I wish you a speedy recovery from your surgery. Spinal surgery is serious, and it is not a good time for you to take on a project that is going to stress your back.

Old 08-14-03, 01:35 AM
LnS
Visiting Guest
Thank you very much for your concern. Fortunately I have family and friends who are willing to help out.
My rental agreement is coming up soon and I'm plan on signing for at least 3 yrs, so why not live in comfort?
This is not the only bathroom, so does code need to be upheld in such an old house that does have another bathroom?
My surgery is one of the reasons I was thinking about a whirlpool tub. Either that or remove the tub and put in a shower stall. I just hate tubs (unless it's a whirlpool/garden tub looking out of the Pacific ocean from the shores of Waikiki). sorry, got lost in the moment!!!!!!
My landlord(s) are a local chapter of a national club. They use the house for their meetings (which occur once a month) other then that, the house is mine. They are responsible for all "needed" repairs and are willing to contribute to this renovation. I was told to get an estimate and submit it. But I don't want them to have to take on the financial burden of what "I" want.
thanks for your input twelvepole. it's much appreciated.

LnS

Old 08-14-03, 03:46 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Bathroom remodel

Only the local building inspector can tell you about what local codes require and if any permits or inspections are required for your project as well as cost for permits and inspections.

When getting estimates, get at least three. Have the estimate broken down showing estimates for labor & materials. Determine what part of the labor will be done by friends and family, and get labor quoted for only what will be done by the contractor.

I second the motion about the location of your whirlpool. If you are planning on moving to Waikiki, I am sure you will be popular with friends and neighbors. I'd certainly work for free if you moved there! A whirlpool tub may be beyond the definition of what is considered to be a reasonable improvement. If the current tub is unsightly and performs poorly, then you may have luck with getting a new shower.

If landlord uses the house for monthly meetings of a national organization, a nice looking updated bathroom would be a plus. To updating the bathroom would add value to his property.

You might also have luck when shopping around to find discontinued, scratch & dent, and bargain materials. Tile closeout sales are often a good deal for ceramic tile if thinking about redoing floor. Often inexpensive paneling and molding can be used for wainscoating to cover walls where tile was applied with mastic.

The tub is the major problem and should likely be the first project. Walls and floors should be done afterwards. Keep us posted on your progress.

Old 08-14-03, 02:00 PM
LnS
Visiting Guest
Thanks for all your input. You are a wealth of good info.
Will keep you informed of my progress.
Have a great day.
LnS

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: