Tub repairs

Old 09-13-03, 10:24 AM
KC180377
Visiting Guest
Tub repairs

I cannot remove the old drain assembly from my tub. I purchased an epoxy kit to re-enamle the tub due to ware spots. The instructions say to remove all drain and fixture hardware before starting. Do I really need to do this, or am I able to use the kit with the drain still in the tub? What will happen if I leave the drain in the tub when using this kit? Thanks for any helpful advice.

Old 09-13-03, 10:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

Yes, you must remove the drain before using the epoxy.
Get a tub drain wrench (aka dumbell) like this:

TUB DRAIN WRENCH

Heat the old putty under the drain lip with a hair dryer on high heat to soften it, and unscrew the drain counter-clockwise.
If you want to try removing it without a dumbell, you can use the handles of a pair of channel-lock pliers with a screwdriver through the teeth for leverage, and try to unscrew it that way.
Try not to break the four crosspieces, but if you do there also is a way to remove the drain without them.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 09-13-03, 10:50 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
KC180377,

If you don't remove the drain assembly, peeling will occur, how soon this will happen is unknown but it will. Even with a professional applying their products for re-glazing, the peeling action will happen.

This is just a band-aid approach to a problem that will reoccur.

You may leave the drain assembly in but etch it very well and then apply your glaze.

Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: