Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

mud or concrete backerboard for shower tile install

Old 09-17-03, 04:08 PM
rheffelman
Visiting Guest

Should i use cement backerboard or should i mud the walls for new shower tile instalation? What steps do i take to mud the walls instead?

Old 09-18-03, 06:23 AM
I_do_it_all
Visiting Guest

In some localities, the Building Code requires the use of a moisture-resistant wallboard behind the tile and around the shower/tub.

If this is a remodel, then you need to check what type of a wallboard the builder/installer had put in before. Builders normally use a water-resistant drywall which is colored green.
If the water-resistant material is not there, you'll need to decide between the green stuff, the cement board or the Hardibacker board (both sold in Home Depot or Lowes). The

Bottom line is that you don't want to install your tiles over regular drywall, or you'll have moisture ingress behind the tile and a lot of headache later.

Good luck.

Old 09-18-03, 07:39 AM
rheffelman
Visiting Guest
What about mud?

I wasn't planning on using green drywall. What i want to know if i should mud the walls instead of concrete backer board. If mud is the way, then how do you do it?

Old 09-18-03, 09:36 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
rheffelman,

Use concrete backer board, this is what is designed for.

Good Luck!

Old 09-22-03, 12:50 PM
charlestown
Visiting Guest
Not sure if you already decided but here is my 2 cents.

I remodeled my entire bathroom and used the cement backer boards and highly recomend them. They are a little on the heavy side but they cut very easy. I used a standard black and decker portable saw and cut right through them no problem.

Once you lay the thin set over the mesh tape you will get a solid connection between the boards.

Good luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: