Tub Leak

Old 10-13-03, 06:44 AM
patrickbecker
Visiting Guest
Tub Leak

My shower/tub has been leaking through the floor in to the basement. It seems like it only leaks when water splashes out on to the floor from the shower. My first thought is to recaulk the tub at the floor. How do I do that?

My other concern is that the floor/basement ceiling has had a steady drip of water over who knows how long. What do you think?

PB

Old 10-13-03, 08:36 AM
masterjoe
Visiting Guest
Talking Recaulk

Remove the old caulking using a sharp razor blade; cut as deeply as you can from top edge and from bottom edge. If needed, cut through second time to remove as much old caulking as possible.
Run a new bead and shape it by either using your finger(little messy) or a caulk shaping tool(much neater). Do not disturb for a couple of days.

How can you tell that water's leaking through a basement floor?? I suppose there's no space between your basement floor and the foundation of your house. Anyways, the only way to effectively find water damage is to cut through the floor and check for an obvious signs(water rot, fungus.....etc). Easiest way to check before cutting into the floor is to poke through an suspicious area with a sharp object (like a pick) and see the integrity of the floor board.

Old 10-13-03, 08:40 AM
masterjoe
Visiting Guest
Talking My bad

I re-read your post and I guess you meant that the bathroom is on the 1ST FLOOR and water seems to leak through BASEMENT, correct??

In that case, I suggest to cut a small inspection hole on the basement ceiling (just enough to shine a flashlight and visually inspect the area)
and look for the obvious signs of water damage that I described above.
If there's a heavy water damage between 1st floor floor board and basement ceiling, reply back and we'll help you further to fix it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: