Rotted Floor Joist

Old 10-29-03, 02:18 PM
roguebabe
Visiting Guest
Rotted Floor Joist

When tearing out the old flooring in my Chicago home built in 1912 I found the subfloor rotted beneath the sink area and near the toilet. As I tore up the subfloor I found that the floor joist in that area is also rotted. After consulting other sites I've decided that sistering the joist is probably the best solution. However, the joist has several cut-outs for plumbing pipes and another cut-out near the waste stack. I have several questions:
What size wood do I use to sister to the existing 1.5 x 9 inch joist?
How far past the damaged area should I extend the sister joist?
The area of damage is between 3-4 feet.
The other question is, considering the cut-outs and the length involved, how do I get the sister joist into position?
Are there any other solutions for this project?
I'm going to be putting my house up for sale in about a year, so I want this repair to be as inconspicuous as possible and I'd like to follow building code, so as not to run into problems later with the sale.
I cannot afford a contractor, and am confident in my diy skills, I've remodeled the 2nd floor bathroom and kitchen previously.
Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Old 10-29-03, 08:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

1. Use a pressure-treated "2 X 10", which is actually 1.5" X 9.5".
2. As far as possible.
3. Is it over a basement or crawlspace?
4. Once you have the cutouts matching, slide one end up in place and hammer (and pry-crowbar) the other end into position.
Good Luck!

Old 10-29-03, 09:22 PM
roguebabe
Visiting Guest
The bathroom is over the basement and there is not much room to work as the floor joist in question is directly over the boiler unit for the furnace. Because of all the pipes in the area and the space I doubt I will be able to extent the sister joist very far. There is an adjacent joist more accessable and in good condition.
Another website suggested putting up a new joist and floor jacks in between the damaged joist and the next undamaged joist, I really don't want to get involved with that, it's too small of a space to begin with.
In addition to attaching a sister joist to this damaged joist, is it possible to attach a sister joist to that undamaged joist for extra support and connect a couple of pieces of 2 x 10 between them using joist hangers? Does this sound like it would provide adequate support and not cause undo stress to the next undamaged joist?

Old 10-29-03, 09:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

If you extend the sister joist as far you can onto solid wood and nail or screw it securely, it will probably be o.k.
(Actually, the floor jacks idea is pretty good, and another way to get the sister into place.)
Since you can't extend the sister that far, the cross supports on joist hangers to the next joist over should help stabilize it.
Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: