leaky shower pan to tile joint...

Old 10-30-03, 04:42 AM
sleepyfloyd
Visiting Guest
leaky shower pan to tile joint...

I have a fiberglass shower pan and it has a tiled wall around 3 sides.. I think the shower pan isnt support well, so the grout in the tile to pan joint cracked. when I went to recaulk, I pulled some of it out in pieces...

Now I have to constantly recaulk to fill the gap and it usually ends up falling out or just opening up.. I've already repaired the ceiling beneath the shower 2 times for water damage/staining.

I think if I hadn't pulled the pieces of grout out, I would've been okay. Is it possible to re-grout it, or is there something else I can do to avoid having to recaulk the joint every 2 months..

I reallly don't want to have to tear up the shower to add support under the pan... Whats the best course of action...

-sleepy floyd

Old 10-31-03, 05:47 PM
W
Received 43 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Cracked pan joint

I have never had much luck with caulk where standing water (like in a shower) is an issue. Grout is not hard to apply if you read the directions. Im no expert, but if that pan is not supported correctly, the grout is going to crack again. You will need to treat the grout with sealer at recommended time intervals to keep it waterproof.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: