Grouting bathroom floor

Old 11-02-03, 04:33 PM
w3webdesign
Visiting Guest
Grouting bathroom floor

A neighbor helped us install a ceramic tile floor in our small bathroom. I think he mixed the grout too thick, then applied it too heavily. It looks terrible.

What is the best way to fix this problem without damaging the over-glazed smaller decorative tiles? Do I need to remove all the grout and start over? Can I wet-sand with a sanding sponge? Do I need to use a dremel tool?

Old 11-02-03, 07:33 PM
Bill Syms
Visiting Guest
Nightmare

This is not an easy problem to fix. Using a dremel or scraping tool is a messy job, and most people is see doing it ruin a few tiles during the process. Depending on what kind of tile you have you may not be able to wet sand the tile, as it will mar the surface.

I would try the latter first in a inconspicuous area to see if it will work. If it does, take your time and work on small areas at a time.

IF this does not work .............................................................

I would be interested to hear from someone who has fixed a problem like this. this is a frequently asked question on web sites.

I hope you used 12"x12" tiles with 1/16" grout lines!

Old 11-02-03, 08:44 PM
w3webdesign
Visiting Guest
We used tiles which are mosaic-style, hexagons with little blue glazed diamond shapes on a 12" mesh. The grout is level with the tiles, and I think it should be lower. Also, some of the grout is actually "on" the blue diamonds, which are very glossy.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: