Waterproofing behind shower walls?

Old 11-03-03, 09:07 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Waterproofing behind shower walls?

When I remodeled my No. Cal bathroom, the city required roofing felt before the Wonderboard went up for the tiled shower walls. Here a plumber and a tiler both say it's crazy to bother, just nail the WB to the studs. Comments?

Old 11-03-03, 10:30 AM
Check local code to see. I used to live and work in Vail and we never put a vapor barrior up. We just put it on the studs. Same way here in K.C.

Old 11-03-03, 10:31 AM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
Wonderboard and other cement backer boards are not waterproof. They are water resistant, and are themselves not damaged by water. Being a cement product they wick water and will allow the studs to get wet. There are better membranes than tar paper, but even the tar paper will work much better than nothing.

Old 11-03-03, 05:27 PM
No water is getting through wonderboard or durock or hardibacker.

Old 11-06-03, 06:34 AM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
http://literature.usg.com/pdf/SA932.pdf
pg 8,
"3 Water Barrier Durock Brand Cement Board is vapor permeable and does not deteriorate in the presence of water. For interior applications, if a vapor retarder or waterproof construction is specified, a separate barrier must be applied over or behind the Durock Brand Board."

CBUs are not waterproof, nor is a tile wall. The grout lines allow enough penetration to result in gypsum wall board products not being a recommended base for use in wet areas. I have not investigated Hardibacker, but cement products in general wick water and are not waterproof, only water resistant.

Old 11-06-03, 08:20 AM
Ok fine. Have you ever seen any water damage resulting from water getting through durock? I haven't. Thats why we use it.

Old 11-06-03, 12:11 PM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
As a mater of fact I have. Twice now. Very long term but the damage was there. Given all the mold junk going around it will start to become an issue if installation is not done according to the manufacturers specifications. I would not want to be in a liability path.

Old 11-06-03, 06:05 PM
M
Thanks, brickeyee, that's exactly why I was worried. I've left pieces of Wonderboard on my back patio during remodeling and seen them soak all the way through from the sprinklers. Furthermore, I called the city and they don't want any membrane behind the board.

Here's what I did. I stripped the vapor barrier off of the insulation (R-13) that I had installed between the studs, figuring that any water vapor getting behind the board needs to keep on going. These are inside walls and the insulation is for soundproofing. The drywall crew that rocked the bathroom offered to put up a product called Denshield, saying that some contractors insist on Durock or WB but others insist just as firmly on this stuff. It's front face is waterproof and prevents moisture from getting into the board in the first place. Sounded perfect, so that's what I have now. (Don't tell me if it's a bad choice! )

BTW, I am in awe of the sheetrockers, they are so-oo good with tape and mud. With my skill, I have to limit drywalling to the garage!

Old 11-07-03, 03:57 AM
You won't go wrong with that installation marcus, Denshield is a good product.

Old 11-08-03, 12:06 PM
M
Thanks, all!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: