Bathtub levelling questions

Old 11-10-03, 02:08 PM
BKH
Visiting Guest
Question Bathtub levelling questions

I installed an American Standard Princeton bathtub yesterday. Recess tub, Americast material. I installed a level 2x4 stringer along the backwall at the height specified in the instructions and set the tub in place. Using shims, I had to raise the front (exposed face) of the tub approximately 1/2" to get it perfectly level. The tub creaks slightly when you move around in it, which I think is due to the lack of support under the base of the front face (just supported by 2 or 3 shims now). My question now is, how can I provide good support to keep the tub level and solid. I have come up with either: a)keep the shims in place holding the tub perfectly level, then place a board (as a form) along the front of the tub blocking the 1/2" opening between the floor and base of tub, then mix and pour a self-levelling cement-type material under the tub until it fills up any low areas and supports the entire tub. b) just cut a piece of plywood and stick it under the front of the tub filling up the gap between floor and tub.
I'm leaning toward a) because it seems like a more permanant, solid solution. I'm looking for opinions or other alternatives. I'd rather not remove the tub if necessary.

Thanks alot,
Bryan

Old 11-10-03, 03:32 PM
charlestown
Visiting Guest
I put the same tub in a couple of my bathrooms and they both squeaked prior to final install. I ran floor tile up to the tubs and put a solid amount of grout to fill any gaps. I drilled screws with washers into the studs above the tub to keep the tub snug against the studs. I put the backerboards over the lip of the tub. Finally I used a good quality silcone and ran it along every seem including the floor. No more squeaks.

Point is, do what you can on the preinstall but doing a good job on the install all around the tub will help as well.

Old 11-10-03, 03:45 PM
BKH
Visiting Guest
thanks for the reply,
I think I am going to shim it completely level tonight then pack some structolite under the front tub support (between the support and floor), so the tub has solid support. Then I will do as you suggest and drill screws w/washers into the studs, bring cementboard over the lip and place floor tile up against the tub.

thanks,
bryan

Old 11-11-03, 12:54 PM
BKH
Visiting Guest
After looking at it again last night, I think I've decided to shim the front up so it is perfectly level and plumb, then place cementboard under the front lip of the tub (so its resting on the cementboard). Then, depending on access, either pack in mortar or structolite around the actual curved tub bottom or pour in a self-levelling compound under the tub, so the tub bottom is fully supported. I hope that works. Any suggestions??
Bryan

Old 11-11-03, 09:41 PM
Bill Syms
Visiting Guest
Bathtub levelling

Anytime I set a tub I set it in cement (this is usually in the instructions that come with the tub) especially if it is not cast iron or pressed steel. Unfornatunally most do not set these fiberglass or acrylic tubs in a compound or cement. This is why it gives when you get in and out of it, there is nothing to support the bottom. I can't tell you how many of these I have seen over the years that have cracked because of no support underneath it.

One thing I do to prevent a mess and enable me to reset the tub if there is a problem after I set it is to fill a large plastic trash bag with cement and set the tub upon it. This way the cement will stay in the bag and if the next day anything happens making you have to pull the tub back out, it will not be cemented into place.

Old 11-13-03, 10:39 AM
BKH
Visiting Guest
thanks bill,
that's a great idea. if i end up removing the tub, i'll do just that. however, i'm hoping i can leave it in place and pour a self-levelling cementitious material under the tub and get support that way.
thanks again,
bryan

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: