cast iron tub removal

Old 11-10-03, 03:38 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Post cast iron tub removal

What is the best way to remove a cast iron tub? We have been told by some score it and take a sawsall to it, and by others to just take a sledge hammer to it. Are either of these ways the best or is there another way?

jdavis

Old 11-10-03, 03:56 PM
BKH
Visiting Guest
I just removed an old cast iron tub three nights ago. I also did some searching about removal and your options are either pull it out as is or take a sledgehammer to it. Mine was big, old and heavy and in addition, I didn't want to remove toilet, etc. that were in the way. So I covered everything in the bathroom with covers/towels/etc. Then I covered the tub with a tarp, then started swining the sledge. It takes a while and porcelain shatters and flies everywhere and makes quite a mess. Wear hooded sweatshirt, gloves, eye protection and be prepared to do a lot of swinging. I got mine busted into about 4 or 5 big pieces (about 200 smaller pieces) that I could carry out.

Hope that helps,
Bryan

Old 11-12-03, 05:12 AM
J
Thanks for your imput. Our problem is that the tub is upstairs in an old cape. Our stairwell has only 4 ft clearance at one point and not very wide so it would be difficult taking it our whole, not to mention the weight of the thing. the smaller the pieces the better. Wish us luck!

jdavis

Old 11-12-03, 07:47 PM
S
Tubs are usually "walked"; by standing them upright. You might consider renting an appliance dolly and strapping the tub to the dolly.

You could also get it to a room with a large window, build a platform at the window, and push it out the window. You might want an outer ramp/slide to ensure it doesn't strike the house.

Old 11-13-03, 04:22 AM
J
There aren't any windows upstairs big enough either. We can't even get a full size box spring upstairs right now because neither the stairwell nor the windows are big enough.

The previous owner just replaced the upstairs windows or we might have considered replacing a couple of them with larger windows, or we have been thinking about a way to enlarge the stairwell area but that's another forum...

The dolly is a great suggestion, I think we have decided we would like to try to take it out in one piece first and see if we can just ramp/slide it down the stairs. Our entrance is in a straight path from the stairwell and we have several big guys who are willing to give us a hand. If we can't it may be hammer time!

Old 11-13-03, 09:55 AM
MusicField
Visiting Guest
Be careful with that old tub on the stairs. They weigh 300-400 pounds, and if it gets away from you, you will be rebuilding the staircase.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: