moving baseboard heat closer to wall

Old 11-09-03, 12:03 PM
JimSigns
Visiting Guest
Question moving baseboard heat closer to wall

I recently removed old tile in bathroom behind baseboard heater-am now replacing with thinner wall, minus 3/4 inch. Is it o.k. to cut copper pipes that lead to baseboard? Should they be capped off temporarily untill I can solder new joints on them? Would this create an air pocket in boiler system? Any reply would be greatly appreciated, Thank You

Old 11-09-03, 03:28 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
JimSigns,

Cutting and capping the lines may not be a wise thing if this line is in a loop for other rooms. If you have a good knowledge of boilers, the system would have to be bled of any air if capping is a viable option. If not, you should consider total relocation.

Again, if need be, seek professional help on this but I understand the reasons behind what you are wanting to do.

Good Luck!

Old 11-11-03, 11:22 AM
JimSigns
Visiting Guest
Thanks Doug,
Advice well taken.
Jimsigns.

Old 11-11-03, 11:30 AM
JimSigns,

You're Welcome!

Good Luck!

Old 11-12-03, 11:08 AM
jpe55071
Visiting Guest
I live in MN, and it gets very cold. The wife made me buy a 1910 2 story that needs a lot of work.

Rule of thumb, Don't mess with the heat in the winter.

All boilers work in a circuit, and it is very rare in single family homes that the circuit only heats one room. Basically, you will have one circuit for each thermistat. If you have only one thermistat then cutting and capping the line will kill the heat to the whole house.

I would never recommend capping a boiler circuit. If the boiler kicks on it will attempt to pump water through the pipe. Wich could potentialy create a leak or burn out your pump.

When I work on the pipes, first I make sure I know how long they may be disconected. I would hate to get a cold snap with no heat. I turn off the boiler to prevent it from accidentaly coming on. Then I cut and drain the lines I'm working on. If its warm out side then I could take my time moving things around and finish the walls and floors without any pipes in the way. Finally I reconect the circuit where I want it. Bleading the lines are pretty easy. It should be part of yearly mantanace.

Old 11-13-03, 10:12 AM
MusicField
Visiting Guest
If you have a one-pipe monoflow system, it is possible to cut/cap the stubs in the bathroom. The rest of the heating system will still work, but it won't work as quickly or as well, and it may cause the boiler to short cycle.

If you have a two pipe loop system, then no, you can not cap the lines.

Describe a little about how your system is piped in the basement, and perhaps we can figure out which kind of system you have. What is the diameter of the main pipes coming from the boiler? What is the diameter of the pipes feeding this radiator?

If possible, leave the radiator in-place until it is ready to be moved back onto the new location.

Another option is to get a length of automotive radiator hose and use worm clamps to connect the two end together.

Old 11-13-03, 08:11 PM
JimSigns
Visiting Guest
Thanks to all who have informed me about capping/moving radiator pipes. Your information has given me a better understanding of how the radiator system works in the house.
I was a little leary of doing this, but musicfield, jpe55071, and Doug have confirmed my decision not to. Thanks again for the information on this subject. By the way, I'm guilty of not bleeding my lines... Thanks for reminding me!

Old 11-13-03, 08:16 PM
JimSigns,

You're very welcome!

Do it right and you'll be fine!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: