Removing baseboards to tile floor

Old 11-16-03, 03:46 PM
turtle33
Visiting Guest
Removing baseboards to tile floor

We recently had ceramic tile installed in a small bathroom. I thought the installer would remove the baseboards before laying the tile - they didn't. Although they did remove the quarter round baseboard attached to the normal baseboard.
Is it common to remove the entire baseboard? I assumed either they would do it or would tell us we needed to do it - but neither occurred. Now we have tile grouted to the baseboard. Is that going to be a problem? If so, do I have a basis to complain and to ask them to do it right? Thanks for any advice. I am hopping mad and hope that my anger is unjustified.

Last edited by turtle33; 11-16-03 at 05:28 PM.
Old 11-17-03, 10:44 AM
ricciuto
Visiting Guest
Well I never have known of a quality contractor to leave in baseboards. If for any reason you need to remove the baseboard you will have a pretty good gap and you may even damage the baseboards. You may have to replace the baseboards with thicker ones so they rest on top of the tile. I would complain about it but never assume. If it wasn't in the contract you they may bulk at it. I had a good size project of wood flooring and tile done in a kitchen/dining/ and hall way. I put in the contract that all baseboards be removed and replace after the flooring work was completed.

There isn't anything to worry about as far as anything happening with the grout except that it may crack as your baseboards and floor could expand and contract at different rates.

Old 11-17-03, 07:31 PM
turtle33
Visiting Guest
Thanks

I did already remove one baseboard - had to rip it out and damaged some of the grout in doing so. The contractor claims they never remove baseboard - yet even all of the DYI websites I have seen say prep work always requires removing baseboard. Considering thicker baseboard is a good idea. Thanks very much for your help.

Old 11-20-03, 03:27 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I am a flooring estimator for one of the "Big Box" home imporvement stores and we never remove baseboards for any type of flooring job. We do add 1/4 round to cover any expansion gap. One of the problems is that so often the old baseboards break upon removal plus there may be water damaged wood especially in the bathrooms. Trying to match existing base molding with the limited designs that we stock usually doesn't work. Our installers are not trim carpenters so they can only do so much. Store Policy-Don't remove the base.

Old 11-20-03, 03:41 AM
ricciuto
Visiting Guest
Sorry guy, that isn't the typical flooring contractor in my area. Every estimate that I got from flooring (not home improvement centers) from flooring contractors, they always stated to me that they remove the baseboards. Then of course I make sure they put it in writing in the contract. I can understand why centers such as the one you work for would not include it. The cost would rise and they want to appear very competitive. I have removed baseboards and with care they won't break in most cases. I am sorry to see that they install flooring without taking up molding as then it becomes impossible to remove. It is worth a few extra dollars to have the molding removed. If you need to hire a finisher to the molding it is worth it.

Old 11-20-03, 06:12 PM
turtle33
Visiting Guest
It just seems common sense to me to remove base board. I also am surprised to hear that replacing baseboard might be such a big deal. I plan to buy some this weekend and to replace what is in the bathroom - I hope to get some that is wider than the existing so that we can put it on top of the tile/grout and thereby leave an expansion area between the wall and grout. thanks for your replies. I have learned a lesson.

Old 11-21-03, 05:56 AM
ricciuto
Visiting Guest
Good luck, I am in the middle of my main bathroom remodel job and I am tiling both wall and floor. I remove the baseboards.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: