Weird Drip

Old 11-19-03, 09:27 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Weird Drip

This is an odd occurence. Whenever my girlfriend takes a long shower in the master bathroom, the vent fan in the basement bathroom (which is almost directly underneath the master bathroom) starts dripping clear water. I have no way of telling if this is the waste water, and I'd like to know how to start diagnosing this problem.

It's not a huge amount of water, but it's a bit scary.

Thanks,
Jed Bickford

Old 11-19-03, 09:58 AM
Jed,

Problems could be one of the following,

Cracked shower base (if fiberglass)
Water valve assembly
Showerhead may be loose
If tiled shower, pan liner could be leaking
Drain fitting may be leaking
Possible recrouting nees to be done.

Suggestion would be to open up the ceiling below and see where the water may be coming from and go from there.

Let us know what you found out

Old 11-19-03, 06:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

Jed,
Doug had the right idea. It's probably a leak, but there is even another weird bathroom exhaust possibilty...IF the over-and-under bathrooms exhaust vents share a common vent in an unheated attic, the warm, moist exhaust air from upstairs could be creating condensation inside the vent pipe that is running down the downstairs vent through the fan.
This can happen, but the condensation usually runs back down through the same exhaust fan that's causing it. The solution is to insulate the vent pipe in the attic.
You can check out the vetn pipe in the attic. However, do as Doug said. That's far more likely the problem...a leak.
Good Luck!

Old 11-24-03, 07:07 PM
J
Thanks for the ideas! The lower bathroom fan actually vents horizontally out to the wall, so I don't think it's condensation.

I was talking it over with my roommate and we came up with a sort of crazy idea...

First, I neglected to mention that this problem only started occurring after I installed a new toilet in the upper bathroom, right next to the shower. When the toilet was off the sewer pipe, someone flushed the toilet in the main bathroom (which is backed up to the same wall as the master bath). The sewage actually came within four-six inches of coming out of the open sewer pipe where the new toilet was going!

Is it possible that the waste water from the shower could somehow be coming up and escaping out if the wax ring didn't seal properly?

I can't think of any other reason that this would occur *after* I installed the new toilet. I could pull the toilet off and make sure the wax ring is securely sealing the connection...?

Any more ideas?? This weekend I'm gonna pull out the lower bathroom fan and try to get a look in there. I'm also going to caulk around where the tile meets the bathtub, just in case water is getting through there.

Thanks!
Jed Bickford

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: