Replacing stand-up shower

Old 11-27-03, 03:56 PM
wigaud
Visiting Guest
Replacing stand-up shower

I have an old stand-up shower that I need to replace. I would like to preserve as much as possible of the walls and tiles. My first question is: do I have to open the ceiling under the shower to disconnect the piping or is there another way? My second question is: How do I pull the thing out of the floor? any advice on on how to get started and complete this project would be appreciated.

MT

Old 11-27-03, 06:59 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
wigaud,

What you are wanting to do verus what can be done is two different things.

It may be possible for you to remove the existing shower with minimal damage but I would ask that you prepare to replace tile. Nothing like stating something and then not planning ahead.

When it comes to shower stalls, depending on the age, it may be a old metal shower with concrete base or metal base. Sometimes removal of the drain assembly will tell you what needs to be done. It may be the a screw in type seal or I have seen some that were leaded in to the old cast pipe. If odds are in your favor maybe you have galvanized pipe. This would be a threaded fitting. The problem is no guarantee how it is installed thus your question about getting to from below may be self explanatory at that point. New drain assembly may be in order if there is questionable fittings due to age.

Normally, new showers if you are considering a 2 or 3 pc unit will be attached directly to the wall studs, again your rough opening size will determine the unit size needed. If you are replacing the shower valve assembly, which I assume you will do, then maybe you have to replace the plumbing from the older galvanized. to copper since it will be easily accessible at this point.

If you haven't done any or all of this before and have any doubts, then hire a professional to get it out and prepare for replacement, the right way.

Hope this helps!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: