spruceing up an old tub

Old 12-05-03, 03:57 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
spruceing up an old tub

Hi,
The bathtub at my house must be around 52 years old. It seems as if is 2 piece? There is a side panel and the tub seems to sit into this panel. I can't really explain.
Anyway, it has some scratches and I would like to shine it up some. I read some of previous posts and don't want to take any chances with reglazing by some large franchise place, which does a quick job.
Is there anything I can do scrubbing it, etc., whatever, but NOT reglazing myself), that'll give it a better look. I don't mind applying elbow grease at all. The sides are not baD, but it's the bottom that needs some care. Thanks
George

Old 12-05-03, 04:27 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
geoss,

I've seen old tubs that like like yours does that have been professionally refinished, and old ones that the homeowner has refinished themselves. The DIFFERENCES in the end result are tremendous! A professionally refinish looks like brand new -- the DIY refinish (at least the ones I've seen) look similar to an old car that was repainted at home using spray paint out of a can.

Check your local Yellow Pages for some pros in your area. Get estimates, references, and ask to see pictures.

The processes that I have seen used is not a quick thing by any means -- you won't have use of the tub for several days! They strip it one day, coat it the next, and let it cure for a couple more days. Discuss the time frame with the pros you get estimates from.

It's less money than replacement, but involves more time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: