Two holes in Grout over Bathtub

Old 12-15-03, 10:25 AM
Still_Waters_43
Visiting Guest
Two holes in Grout over Bathtub

Hi, my son-in-law asked me about this.

The builder of his new home purposely left two gaps (i.e. on opposite sides) in the grout line where the tiles meet the bathtub and also in his shower.

The builder said this is so the walls could breath??? I never heard of this, is this for real, it looks like this could leak and be a problem?

Old 12-16-03, 12:00 AM
Bill Syms
Visiting Guest
Breathing?

Either there is a new procedure for installing tub / tile breathing lines or this "Builder" is confused.

Never saw or heard of a wall breathing (though I've not been everywhere) and how would it breath under water?

Either the tub has setteled or the grout has shrunk creating the space you see. Do not let this go unattended for to long. Moisture will over time do tremendous damage to your bathroom.

I suggest that you remove the existing grout (with a sharp utility knife, hammer and chisle), blow dry the joint untill no moisture appears and caulk the joint (I think the tub is setteling and the caulking will work better in this situation than grout).

Look for a caulking in the tile section of your home improvement store that is the same color of your existing grout. These caulkings even come sanded if necessary.

Or if walls really do breath, please send me info as I am uninformed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: