Bathroom fan dripping water

Old 12-29-03, 09:56 AM
pdnovak
Visiting Guest
Bathroom fan dripping water

I have a ceiling vent in my master bath which is dripping water. I've looked up in the attic and there is no leaking or water damage. This just started occurring when winter came so I believe it is happening from condensation in the vent shaft.

This has not happened in the past 4 years of living here. There is no insulation on the vent shaft either. I'm not sure how this could be happening because nothing looks broken.

How is condensation usually handled in this situation? Any ideas on what might have broken?

Thanks,

Paul

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-03, 11:12 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Paul,
You're exactly right. It's caused by condensation from the warm, moist air from the bathroom hitting the inside of the cold vent pipe in your unheated attic.
Wrap the attic vent pipe with insulation batts held in place with duct tape. (Don't crush the insulation. Just wrap it snuggly around the vent and tape it in place.)
Should solve your problem.
Good Luck!

Old 12-29-03, 11:53 AM
pdnovak
Visiting Guest
This is one solution I've thought of, but I'm more concerned with the fact that its happening now. I've been in this house for 4 winters already and it has not occurred.

To me, this means that something in the fan, ducts or roof has broken or worn down. I'm just not sure what things are typically in place in other homes to prevent this (other than wrapping the shaft with insulation).

Old 12-30-03, 04:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

There isn't necessarily anything wrong.
It may just be a combination of things at this point in time...cold temperature, longer showers that create more moist air, more frequent use, etc.?
The insulation should solve it.
Good luck!