tearing down tile in bathtub/shower

Old 01-05-04, 12:36 PM
babedog1
Visiting Guest
tearing down tile in bathtub/shower

I have a house built in 1971 and am tearing out the tile around the shower/bathtub and will put in new tile. Underneath the tile is about a 1/2 inch of mortar, backed by something that looks like chicken wire. Underneath that is regular drywall, then the studs. What is this material and is there anything special I need to know in working with it? It's is difficult to get down and out! Thanks

Old 01-07-04, 08:09 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
That's a traditional mortar bed, long considered the best way to go (at least until cement backer board became popular). There is usually asphalt paper or some other waterproofing between the wire lath and the drywall. Doubt there's anything special about it, but ask the pros in the tile forum.

Since your under-tile walls are 1" thick instead of the now-standard 1/2", your room's rough-in dimensions may be 1" larger than the new tub. Put wooden blocking on the studs behind the tub nail flange (easier than moving the studs). Then build back the wall thickness by using 1/2" drywall underneath the 1/2" backer board. Check with your building inspector to make sure this is ok, and to find whether you need a waterproof membrane underneath the backer board. Get more advice in tile forum...

Old 01-07-04, 08:10 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
BTW, I think a sledge hammer is the accepted method of demolition. Other opinions?

Old 01-09-04, 05:15 PM
Bill Syms
Visiting Guest
Surround Demo

I normally use a 4" Talon hand held tile saw with a tile blade and very carefully cut the tile surround out of the existing walls. You could also try a good "Reciprocating saw". Next I will cut a line up one of the side walls. With this done you can sick a crow bar in the joint you just cut out and pry the wall loose. If this does not work, then take the sledge and CAREFULLY hit the wall untill it comes loose (if you are to aggresive with the sledge you could cause problems on the other side of the wall you are removing). Once you get a section of the surround out, you can usually remove the surround (with the help of a crow bar) with a little brute force by hand. If you have cut the surround out of the existing walls neatly, you will have a neat hole which you can tile over and save yourself time / money.

NOTE: If you decide to use a Talon saw, the dust will be incredible. If you have a window in the bathroom, stick a fan in it and be sure to wear saftey goggels and a resperator mask.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: