Grouting around a bathtub

Old 01-10-04, 10:11 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Grouting around a bathtub

Hi folks,

Gotta guestion. I just replaced my old steel bathtub with a new acrylic one. The problem I have is that because the old tub was 15" high and the new one is 19 " high I had to use different tiles when I tore them out to replace them. The old tiles are 4 by 4 and the new ones are 6 x 6. This has left me with an about a quarter inch gap between the tub ledge and the bottom of the tiles. This is to big to caulk so it looks neat so I was wondering if I could grout it to fill in the space. It would look neater and match the remaining tiles, BTW I have already siliconed up under the tiles so no water can get back up under them but will the grout stick to the acrylic tub or am I hooped. Any suggestions, ideas or other solutions would be appreciated.

Cheers
F.O.G.

Old 01-13-04, 07:18 AM
Bill Syms
Visiting Guest
Big Grout Line

Grouting this is ok. Use a SANDED tile grout. Sanded tile grout is made for larger grout joints / prevents cracking.

If I was doing this, I would mix the grout up very thick, like a ball of clay. Now put it in the joints. Next take a 2" scraper and remove the excess by putting it against the tile and sliding it across the tub. Square off the corners. DON'T PLAY WITH IT TOO MUCH! After you have removed the excess, let it dry for a couple of hours. IF you try to sponge this joint off you will problably remove too much of the grout making the grout line concave. It's better to let this dry as much as possible before cleaning up.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: