bath/shower walls

Old 01-17-04, 01:56 PM
Harry K.
Visiting Guest
Question bath/shower walls

I recently installed a new tub in the master bath and would like to do the surround with a solid surface, (Corian?) or something of similar strength. I will need to be able to secure a grab bar on the wall. I have stripped the area to the studs, and built up the area for the grab bar to secure to. I have now covered the walls with cement board, and am ready to install the finish surface. I am leary of tile due to the maintenance required. Where can I get solid surface sheets large enough to go to the ceiling.? The tub is 36" X 60 and the wall height is approx. 77".

Old 01-18-04, 01:48 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I would look under the topic heading of Swanstone.

This is a good product for shower walls, less expensive than corian.

If you go to your local big box store, they make sinks out of this product.

I would follow up and visit a well to do plumbing supply house that has a very large showroom; this diversity will probably lead you to either a sample of the product in a display, along with literature and someone personally helping you with pricing and color sample swatches.

Old 01-29-04, 01:11 PM
showerguy
Visiting Guest
Alternative

This is probably too late to help this person but maybe someone else will read this looking for the same answer.

Swanstone and Corian are not the only brands of solid surface shower panels out there.

A number of companies are using cultured onyx as a solid surface material for making shower panels. The panels are sold by the square inch and can be made any size up to 10' x 12' so you don't have to pay for material that will be thrown away as waste.

And it must be good stuff because at least one of these companies is guaranteeing their product forever, which is a pretty long time.

The prices for this material are typically lower than either Corian or Swanstone as well.

So, for anyone who is looking for something like this, I would recommend web searching on "solid surface" and "shower panels" rather than searching for a specific brand, so you can see everything before you make a choice.

Old 01-31-04, 01:48 PM
Harry K.
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the info. I won't be doing this phase of the project for some time yet. I am the world's slowest remodeler.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: