Tub/shower enclosure options???

Old 01-18-04, 02:46 PM
whizper1
Visiting Guest
Question Tub/shower enclosure options???

I have just bought my first home and the only bathroom in the house is what they call a jack and jill. There is a window above the shower along with a makeshift shower head hanging on the outside of the cabinet that is within the shower/tub area. Kinda wierd and hard to describe. I am going to rip out the cabinet and probably the tub. OK, my question, are there shower enclosures that allow you space for windows?? Or will I have to do tiles???

Thanks,
Lynn

Old 01-18-04, 03:21 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
In my 16 years in the profession of plumbing, I have yet to see a tub enclosure made to fit in the dimensions of an existing window.

I would say your best bet is to cut the new enclosure around this window, and then tile around the window to prevent leakage.

This is what is the majority in most cases people do.

Old 01-28-04, 10:39 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Another option is to have a marble surround installed, they can piece it all together and it really will look nice

Old 01-29-04, 04:20 PM
showerguy
Visiting Guest
NO ADVERTISING IN FORUMS

XXXXXX

There are two ways to handle the window part:

One is to take very good measurements and have the XXXXX supplier make the back panel with the window cut already in it. The bad thing about this method is that walls and floors are seldom straight and the window hole may not line up with the window.

The other way is to have the XXXXX supplier reinforce the areas with fiberglass where the window corners will be and let you cut it on the site. You can open the window, and dry-fit the back panel in place while someone goes outside with a ladder and marks the panel from the back through the open window. You just need a small mark for each corner.

You would drill holes for the corners first and then cut between them with a jigsaw using a bimetal fine tooth blade. make sure there are no sharp corners or crows feet that could attract stress fractures when the hot water hits the wall on a cold winter morning.

Either way the hole just needs to be close because these companies make cultured XXXX inside corner, outside corner and straight trim for windows - even window sills - that are just like wood trim you would use around the other windows in your house XXXXX. Just use the matching trim to finish the window.

XXXXXXX

Also, don't forget to ask about their support policy for phone help while you are installing and their product guarantee.

POST EDITED FOR ADVERTISING

NOTE TO ALL FORUM TOPIC USERS.

Advertisements within the forum topics, replies posted or within personal signatures is not allowed on this web site. Ads, advertisements, solicitations to market products, services or to hire person(s) to perform work is not allowed. There Are No Exceptions.

>>>>NO ADS OR ADVERTISEMENTS ALLOWED

Last edited by twelvepole; 04-12-04 at 10:43 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: