Shower Surround & Plaster Walls

Old 02-10-04, 09:41 AM
kwright001
Visiting Guest

Hello,
I recently removed all the tile from my bathroom shower walls, and I'm left with what I think our the original plaster walls with some adhesive. The plaster doesn't look all that bad, accept at the bottom where it meets the tub. At the bottom there are some pockets, where the plaster came out while I was removing the tile.

I want to install one of these 3 piece shower surrounds that you see at Home Depot. How should this surround be installed against the plaster walls? With an adhesive of some sort? Should I be removing the plaster down to the walls studs, and installing water proof drywall? Should I put water proof backerboard over the plaster?

Also, I was planning on installing beadboard wainscoting in the rest of the bathroom, again, over the area where I removed the tile. There's only one area that will be close to the shower, is there other paneling similar to the beadboard, this is water proof? I'm afraid if it gets wet, down the road it will start pulling or buckling, etc.

Any advice or suggestions is greatly appreciated.
Kim

Old 02-11-04, 07:05 PM
Torch
Visiting Guest
You don't need to remove all the plaster. The new surrounds attach directly to the plaster with Liquid Nails- but check the installation instructions. I would suggest going to the manufacturers website and finding the installation instructions online. Make sure you have a good seal at the seams and at the bottom edge.

Old 02-12-04, 05:14 AM
kwright001
Visiting Guest

Thanks for the reply,
I called one manufacturer and they said they didn't recommend putting the surround over plaster walls. She suggested taking the plaster down and installing the water resistant drywall.

I did some digging, and found that the plaster is covering drywall. So, in order for me to meet the surface/face of the existing wall (I'm only removing the area where the old tile was set), I think I have to shim the new drywall out. Since, it's not as thick.

Home improvement ... it's never ending! :-)
Kim

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: