copper pipe showing behind tub spout

Old 02-11-04, 10:34 AM
babedog1
Visiting Guest
copper pipe showing behind tub spout

Hello, I recently replaced the tile around my tub/shower. The tile I tore out was laid on a mortar bed and stuck out further over the tub than the new tile does, since I put backerboard behind the new tile. Now the tub spout does not go flush against the wall, there is a gap of about 1/2 inch of copper piping showing. Is there anything I can buy to cover up the gap. Some kind of decorative piece that will cover the pipe?

Old 02-11-04, 06:59 PM
Torch
Visiting Guest
The best solution is to measure the gap, remove the spout, cut the pipe and sweat on a new male end. Takes about 15 minutes. If you can re-do the walls yourself, you have the talent to do this minor plumbing job. Good Luck!

Old 02-11-04, 09:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

I agree with Torch. Cutting the excess out and soldering a new male fitting on is the best solution.
We can tell you how, if you need soldering help.
There also is the other option that doesn't require soldering. Simply cut off the male fitting for a straight piece of pipe (hacksaw or pipe cutter), and use the type of tub spout sealed with a rubber ring that is held on by an Allen wrench set screw in a slot underneath the spout.
Either type are available anywhere tub spouts are sold.
Good luck!
Mike

Old 02-18-04, 03:31 PM
GREG2305
Visiting Guest
Re: copper pipe showing behind tub spout

I take the easy way out and by a tub flange that extends out a 1/2".
That's what I am doing for my whirlpool since a standard tub spout isn't long enough.

Originally posted by babedog1
Hello, I recently replaced the tile around my tub/shower. The tile I tore out was laid on a mortar bed and stuck out further over the tub than the new tile does, since I put backerboard behind the new tile. Now the tub spout does not go flush against the wall, there is a gap of about 1/2 inch of copper piping showing. Is there anything I can buy to cover up the gap. Some kind of decorative piece that will cover the pipe?

Old 02-18-04, 04:23 PM
If the tub spout is attached with a threaded nipple, just replace the nipple with a shorter one.

Old 02-18-04, 07:49 PM
L
Everybody is assuming that your spout is threaded on -- and it may well be. If it is, do what they said.

Since you are seeing copper pipe, I would doubt that it is threaded IN THE WALL. It's probably soldered at the 'el' below the tub valve.

But you MIGHT be dealing with a spout that has a compression connection, rather than a threaded fitting on the spout end. In that case, you simply need to shorten the nipple that is projecting out the wall by 1/2" or so and reinstall the spout.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: