sweating from new toilet tank

Old 02-12-04, 06:06 AM
chezling
Visiting Guest
sweating from new toilet tank

We recently installed a new toilet bowl and tank. We have noticed a faint blue tinged stain on the bowl where we think water from the tank may have sweated out from the new rubber gasket between the tank and the bowl. It is an American Standard Cadet model. Could the tank be too tight on the bowl? I've noticed some sweating in the well btween the tank bottom and the two rims of the bowl on which the tank sits. Thanks to those who reply with any thoughts.

Old 02-12-04, 06:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

This "sweat" may actually be a small leak at that gasket. It may seal itself, or...you can carefully (porcelain cracks easily) snug up the toilet tank bolts holding the tank to the bowl to see if that stops it.
Good luck!
Mike

Old 02-12-04, 07:21 AM
chezling
Visiting Guest
Mike,

Thanks for your reply. The bolts are pretty tight right now, so I 'd be afraid to tighten them any more. My wife thinks that the sweating is less than it has been, so maybe it will seal itself. Any idea how long this should take? The toilet's been in since last Saturday. ALso, a guy from Lowe's, where we purchased the toilet, mentioned that if there are other plumbing that is open this could cause this. We haven't installed the new vanity and sink yet, but the drain pipe there is blocked with just a rag. MAybe this is a possible cause. I'd love to hear what you think. Thanks.

Chuck

Old 02-12-04, 08:15 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

Chuck,
If this "sweat" is actually a small seep leak, it will probably seal itself in a day or so, maybe a little longer, depending upon minerals in the water supply.
Actual toilet tank "sweat" is condensation formed by warm, moist air of a bathroom from the tub or shower condensing on the tank full of cold water.
Condensation solutions include improving exhaust ventilation in the bathroom or running the exhaust fan until all visible mirror "steam" is out of the bathroom (best), installing insulation made for the purpose inside the tank (second best), to installing a hot-cold water mixing valve at the tank water supply (last resort).
I think that your problem is a seep leak. If your problem was condensation, it would be all over the tank.
I think that your seep will probably just correct itself.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 02-12-04, 10:28 AM
chezling
Visiting Guest
Mike,

Thanks again for your input. We'll see what happens in a day or two. I'll keep you uptodate.

Chuck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: