Jacuzzi tub

Old 02-24-04, 07:16 PM
hquinn
Visiting Guest
Jacuzzi tub

We had our dream master bathroom built, and had a large corner-style jacuzzi tub installed. The plumber recommended a second 50-gallon hot water heater dedicated to the new bathroom. It is in the basement next to the old hot water heater.
Unfortunately there is still not enough hot water to fill the jacuzzi. It is stone cold by the time the water level is past the jets.
How large a hot water tank do you need? Should we replace it completely ($$$) or is there a way to bridge the two together? This is really frustrating us. There were other issues with the plumber but this is the worst of it. Thanks for any help!

Old 02-25-04, 03:14 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How many gallons capacity of the tub? Your vendor would know or at least offer an estimate. If you can't get an answer, give us the interior dimensions of the tub.

What sort of faucet is on the tub? You are talking of a whirlpool tub, and not a spa/hot tub, correct? Or, are you filling it with a hose? I suspect you are using a tub faucet that has anti-scald balancing valve built into it.

Have you noticed a discrepancy between the temp of the water going into the tub and the hot water tap of the lavatory faucet?

What are the settings of the water heater? You can set it hotter and install a thermostatic mixer to ensure safety.

Old 02-25-04, 10:41 AM
masterjoe
Visiting Guest
Talking additional checklist

In addition to Steve's concerns, pls check the following:

What's the capacity of your jacuzzi?? If it's substantially more than 50 gal, of course you'll have a cold water coming out near the end.
Raise the thermostat knob setting on your 2nd hot water heater to 'Very Hot'; that way, you'll have super hot water coming out for the same amount.

What I did for my whirlpool tub at my old house was that I modified the plumbing inside and installed an inline heater. It's not very difficult to do and works great. You don't have to have a tub full of hot water to begin with. With warm water, heater will gradually heat it up to your liking.

Since you already spent money and installed a dedicated water heater, try several things that Steve and I pointed out.

Reply back with your diagnosis results.

Old 02-25-04, 05:15 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
One of the most important things to check is the behavior of the faucet you installed (I assume you fill the tub with a Hot-Cold faucet.

Late model faucets are anti-scald, and WILL NOT allow you to draw only hot water. If you don't believe me, turn off the cold water supply to your faucet. Then try to get ANY water from that faucet. Chances are you can't.

What that means to you is you cannot draw a purely "hot" supply of water; it will always be mixed with some cold. The faucet will have some minor adjustment built into it, but the fact remains: Some hot water and some cold water, at all times.

There is one way around this, but it's counter-intuitive. You would buy two thermostatic mixers and place them before the shower faucet. A decent plumber will understand what I am saying. One will be set for a "hot" result (110 degrees, perhaps), the other would be set for a "cold" (80 degrees, perhaps) result.

Hot tubs will not allow the water to be heated past 104 degrees, so you wouldn't want the tub spout to supply water much hotter than 104.

This would result in a supply to the tub that behaves thusly:

Has a "passing gear" that purges the hot water pipe asap
Will then start to mix hot and cold to create the desired temp
Will then restrict the cold water being mixed in as the hot supply cools off, up the point of sending purely "hot" water to the tub.

Unless you currently have a thermostatically controlled supply, this modification should be a great improvement.

Old 02-25-04, 08:15 PM
hquinn
Visiting Guest
Thank you all for your insight. The tub holds 75 gallons. Duh! But we don't need 75 gallons of hot, do we?
The water coming out of the tub faucets seems as hot as the hot water coming out of the shower head and sink faucets.
Yes, we are filling it with a regular American Standard bath tub faucet.
We had an in line heater installed at the distributor's suggestion; she said the whirlpool action can cool the water off pretty quickly otherwise. The heater goes on automatically but seems to keep the temperature stable, doesn't seem to make it any warmer.
I am going to try setting the hot water heater hotter and see how that works. We'll just have to remember to be alert while showering and washing that we may need to turn on more cold than we did before.
Thank you again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: