Whirlpool tub

Old 02-25-04, 05:34 AM
eliasfamily
Visiting Guest
Whirlpool tub

We have a whirlpool tub in our master bathroom. We filled the tub and attempted to turn on the jets recently after a year or two of not using the tub. The jets would not work. The name on the power plate reads "The Passport Ensemble". How can I find information about this whirlpool tub? The tub was installed in the bathroom when we bought the house and we did not receive any paperwork/instructions with the tub.

Old 02-25-04, 10:32 AM
masterjoe
Visiting Guest
Talking Check the breaker

Check the obvious things first:

Since it hasn't been used since previous owner moved out, there's a good chance that he/she turned off the breaker for the hot tub for safety reason. Locate & check whether breaker is OFF or tripped.

Reply back with your results

Old 02-25-04, 05:30 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Did you hear any sounds that indicated the tub attempted to power-up?

If you heard the motor start and run, you might have jets clogged with the bacteria that love to live in those pipes. Whirlpool tubs are for the most part a Petri dish.

Few people use them regularly, so when it's started up for Valentine's Day (trust me on this, I worked Feb 14th at a hot tub dealer) a stream of 'goo' comes out.

Well, am I correct? You started the tub for Valentine's Day?

Old 02-26-04, 05:02 AM
eliasfamily
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by SteveBausch
Did you hear any sounds that indicated the tub attempted to power-up? No.

If you heard the motor start and run, you might have jets clogged with the bacteria that love to live in those pipes. Whirlpool tubs are for the most part a Petri dish.

Few people use them regularly, so when it's started up for Valentine's Day (trust me on this, I worked Feb 14th at a hot tub dealer) a stream of 'goo' comes out.

Well, am I correct? You started the tub for Valentine's Day? No.

Old 02-26-04, 05:04 AM
eliasfamily
Visiting Guest
Re: Check the breaker

Originally posted by masterjoe
Check the obvious things first:

Since it hasn't been used since previous owner moved out, there's a good chance that he/she turned off the breaker for the hot tub for safety reason. Locate & check whether breaker is OFF or tripped.

Reply back with your results

Results: It has been used since the previous owner moved out. The breaker has not been turned off or tripped.

Old 02-26-04, 10:40 AM
masterjoe
Visiting Guest
Talking 3 things to check

From what I've read from your posts so far,
I'll check the following three things:

-By code, your tub must be GFCI protected. Check to see if GFCI has indeed tripped. If it's 120V/20A dedicated circuit, chances are the GFCI is either at the breaker panel(GFCI breaker) or at the outlet underneath your tub where the pump is plugged into(GFCI receptacle).
Open up your access panel to the pump and check.

-If you don't even hear pump running, try to see if armature is stuck.
Open up access panel, place your ear close to the motor, turn the power on and see if you can hear it 'hum'. If it does, most likely the armature is stuck. The trick to free up an armature is to use a wrench to insert into an square slot at the end of armature and jerk it free. I've done that to my spa motor a while back.

-Last thing I'll check is a Switch to turn on the motor. Most likely it's an air-pressure switch, where a thin plastic hose connects a ON/OFF button and a motor where a pressure-sensitive button switch is located. It's purely mechanical switch where an air pressure inside a tube triggers a pressure sensitive switch at the motor. If the hose is damaged, there isn't enough air pressure build up inside to trigger the switch. Check for the leak or damage.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: