water in closet

Old 03-15-04, 10:12 PM
hereintomball
Visiting Guest
water in closet

Im not sure if this counts as a bathroom question or not but I have just discovered quite a bit of water in my closet. The closet is right next to the bathroom, infact the bathtub is right on the other side of the closet wall. I pulled the carpet up and checked along the wall and ceiling in my closet and there is no signs of wet sheet rock or busted pipes. Also the water seems to be concentrated about a foot away from the closet wall. Im a new home owner so this is pretty much my first fix-it job. Is it possible that the water is not coming from any pipes but through the foundation instead? It has been raining quite a bit here. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
alan

Old 03-16-04, 04:36 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: Alan. Welcome to the Do It Yourself web site.

If the tub also has a shower, chances are the pipe which leads up to the shower head has a leak in it or one of the pipe fittings on it has a leak.

If so, the water will flow downwards inside the wall to the floor and spreadout being noticed on the floor as you described. Check the wall board behind the shower for evidence of moisture.

Another possibility is a water leak in a pipe which is in the floor. If the floor is cement slab, big time problem. To verify a leak in the pipe, remove any carpeting in the area.

Water, dampness or moisture will be present. The spread of it will lead to the source which should be the floor up to the wall moulding.

If so, not so bad. Water leak in the wall as mentioned above. Most likely only when the shower is running. To verify, do not use shower for several days and the water in the floor will dry out.

Proof the leak is in the wall. If the water does not dry out and remains as wet, leak in the slab. Plumber time. Contact your local professional plumbing contractor for leaks in slab repairs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: