Travertine tile over faux marble

Old 03-27-04, 02:31 PM
L
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Travertine tile over faux marble

How appropriate is travertine tile (filled and honed) in a shower? Next, I would like to install right over the faux marble walls currently in the shower, with an adhesive. Any thoughts on that? The faux marble I speak of is very common in many of the Phoenix valley bathrooms I've seen. About 3/8 thick and rigid.

thanks

Old 03-28-04, 05:43 AM
floorman
Visiting Guest
the problem that arises from putting marble or travertines in the shower is that the chemicals that they are exposed to dulls the shine after extended periods of time if not taken care of properly.

You need to use the reccomended cleansers and polishes to keep these the way they were out of the carton for as long as you can,any where from 7 to 25 years depending on a staggering amount of if's, from installation to cleanig to the batch of stone you have and anything in between that you can imagine.

Going over a nonpourous substrate is not the way to go either the glue that you use will either never dry or it wont stick.You could take a 4" angle grinder and cut into the marble to provide the adheasive something to grab onto.But there are still too many things to go wrong.

If i were you take the extra time and a few extra bucks and tear that marble out and start over if for no other reason than piece of mind

Old 03-28-04, 07:23 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
lgandtg,

For what it is worth, I second what floorman is suggesting. Many times trying to make it work is too time consuming and usually ends up with poor results over time.

You won't regret it!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: