Closet Flange

Old 03-28-04, 09:31 AM
gargoil77
Visiting Guest
Closet Flange

I've replaced the flooring in my bathroom. I'm going to install durock then tile. Does the closet flange sit ontop of the durock or is the flange installed then the durock around it? Or does it matter. I'm getting differant answers from differant people.

Old 03-28-04, 11:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

A toilet flange should sit on top of the finished floor level (the tile), with only the thickness of the flange above floor level, in order for a standard wax ring to seal properly.
The flange should be anchored to the floor and the toilet leveled and bolted to it. Use beveled plastic leveling shims made for the purpose, if necessary.
There are flange extension kits that can be used to raise the flange level, if it's on a slab.
If it's over a basement or crawlspace, you can cut the drain line under the flange and raise it that way. Use a Fernco coupling or no-hub coupling on the drain pipe to make up the difference.
Or, if it's on a second floor and you don't want to cut into the ceiling beneath the toilet, you can double the wax rings and use a wax ring with a plastic horn for the top ring.
I've used the latter two methods for years without any problems.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 03-28-04, 12:04 PM
gargoil77
Visiting Guest
Thanks! I do need the luck!

Old 03-28-04, 01:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Run the tile up under the flange, and use a masonry bit to drill anchor holes for the flange.
Use an awl or other sharp-pointed object to make a starter spot in the tile to keep the bit from skipping when you first start it.
You can use Tapcons for concrete, plastic anchors, or long wood screws for wood subflooring.
Good Luck!
Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: