New tub

Old 04-22-04, 08:52 AM
Mark in Ottawa
Visiting Guest
New tub

I'm thinking of enlarging the main bathroom on the second floor of my townhome. I'd like to move the wall that separates the bathroom and the bedroom in a couple of feet (taking a couple of feet away from the mstbdr but it's big enought that I spare the space) thereby giving myself a larger master bath.

Two questions, if I move and/or change the tub, I'll have to pour another slab under the tub in the new location. How do I do this? Will I need to build a box directly on top of the subfloor to contain the mortar under the tub?

Has anyone had any experience in putting an electric fireplace behind a glass wall in a tub/shower? I can't consider a gas f/p as there is only one location permitted for a gas fireplace in the unit. Any ideas?

Mark

Old 04-22-04, 09:31 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Might want to open that wall your describing to see if that is a plumbing wall, where all the majority of plumbing pipes go up and serve the bath group.

Ventless gas fireplaces have more compatability, and less costly to operate.

Old 04-23-04, 07:47 AM
Mark in Ottawa
Visiting Guest
Question New Bath

Thanx Dunbar Plumber. I've identified the wall within which the plumbing and venting are located. I pretty sure basic plumbing and soldering experience will make it a simple exercise to move it down the wall a couple of feet when I decide to start. What I was most concerned with was how to pour the mortar base.

Is it as straight-forward as nailing four 2-by's right on top of the sub-floor to form a box to contain the mortar and then just leveling the tub on top of the mortar base?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: