removing kitchen cabinets

Old 05-08-04, 09:12 PM
dmlopa
Visiting Guest
Question removing kitchen cabinets

I would like to remove old kitchen cabinets. Already bought new ones but what kind of tool would I use. There are copper pipes underneath going through holes made in cabinets. Should I use a reciprocating saw (I think that's what it's called) to remove them. They are the kitchen sink ones. Haven't started on the top either. Thank you in advance.

Old 05-09-04, 06:55 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
A kitchen demo should basically reverse the order of installation.

1. Remove the appliances.
2. Remove the counters and sink.
3. Remove cabinet doors, drawers, and shelves.
4. Remove the base cabinets - starting at one end or at the dishwasher hole. Use a recip saw to cut them into pieces you can handle. When you take out the sink cabinet, shut off the water (hot and cold) so you can remove the shutoff valves. Once the cabinets are out, I cap the water lines and turn the water back on.
5. When all the base cabinets are gone, take out the upper cabinets.

In addition to my trusty recip saw, I use a couple of "WonderBar" type tools to pry things loose. When I'm prying against drywall, I use a piece of 1/2" plywood as a backer so I don't make holes in the drywall. When you do the uppers, have a helper handy so stuff doesn't come crashing down on you.

I also use a wheeled appliance dolly to take the pieces out to the dumpster or dump trailer.

Have fun.

Old 08-06-06, 03:31 PM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Old Kitchen Cabinet removal

Is there no way to remove cabinets without destroying them so that I can donate them? or am I reading that there's basically no hope for them so I should just tear right in and rip the darn things off the wall like i want to at this point.

Old 08-06-06, 03:48 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Most cabinets are held to the wall by screws. If you look on the back side you should see them. Most are screwed into the wall studs. You should also find that the cabinets are connected together by screws. These also need to be removed. Saving the cabinets can be done if you carefully look for the screws. Good luck.

Old 08-06-06, 09:05 PM
A
Thanks. I finally got them down, stubborn pieces of wood! Someone also put tiny nails (the ones with no heads) in a few spots on them. Now it's just the sink base I'm going to have issues with. I have to remove the pipes, though I don't want to totally remove them.

Now can anyone tell me why behind where each of my cabinets was there are two holes in the wall, none of which were caused by the cabinets, because there was nothing on the back of the cabinets themselves. These are fairly large holes but not where the screws or nails were.

Old 08-07-06, 07:27 AM
W
Received 65 Upvotes on 56 Posts
Cabinets

The large holes could be from plumbing which may have been re-routed during the previous cabinet install.

Old 08-07-06, 09:12 AM
A
Oh, ok. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: