Water leaking behind Wall

Old 05-18-04, 09:46 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Red face Water leaking behind Wall

I have a stand up shower that has a leak behind the wall. It has a fiberglass base and tile on the walls. Last night I put some blue food coloring in the drain track on shower inclosure frame (it is a glass shower with a door that opens out). The water leaking behind the wall was blue. My assumption is that the drain track on the frame is not letting enough water out, or it is taking water in. I noticed that there is a natural flow of water down the side of the enclosure wall that runs right over one of the drains. I think it is taking water in, instead of letting water out. My assumption is that I will need to take the frame appart and re-caulk the drain track where it meets the tile wall. I believe that this must be where the leak is coming from. I have taken a glass shower frame appart before and it was not fun. Are there any other solutions to my problem???

Old 05-18-04, 02:26 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
jay_donovan,

Not knowing what brand of shower door, how it was installed or how old of a shower unit, I assume that you may either have a need for,

Better Caulking
Possible leak behind tiles
If any screws were used in base for the door track, this needs to be addressed

Are we talking the horizontal bottom track you applied this food coloring? Any leaks with the vertical frame

You description tends to make me think caulking with 100 % silicone is in order or a Butyl caulk.

Any thoughts on these?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: