Levelling shower base pan in new bathroom

Old 05-25-04, 09:50 AM
Toogy
Visiting Guest
Levelling shower base pan in new bathroom

I have begun installing a Neo-Angle shower stall in my basement bathroom, the problem I have run into is that the shower pan does not want to sit flat on the floor, the back of the pan towards the drain sits on the floor but the front edge is about 1/4 inch off the the floor. What would be the best way to shim the base so it sits level? There is nothing at the front of the base to fasten to the floor.

Thanks

Old 05-25-04, 07:20 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Toogy,

This applies to tubs, showers. It is a general article and this will help you.

http://jacuzzi.com/pdf/K272.PDF (See Framing and Support)

Following the directions per the manufacture for installation. Lack of support causes squeaks, in some cases leaks at drain pipe fittings and worst of all cracks in the finish material.

Most manufacturers recommend or suggest installing a mortar base support under the tub bottom before setting the tub or shower base in place. You can use either a bag of Quikcrete or a 5 gallon pail of pre-mix joint compound. ( usually I use the pre-mix 5 gallon...lazy and it's less mess)

When this sets up, usually with 24-48 hours, your tub bottom will be rock solid supported. This does 2 things, prevents any possibility of potential cracking within the fiberglass/acrylic and eliminates any movement at the tub or shower drain assembly or potential leaks that could happen.

Ensure that you do not get any around the tub or shower drain assembly should you need to do anything down the line. In most cases, the holes cut for the drain lines will keep any base support away from it.

The key is to place pressure on the base and once you have it level - completely, anchor the side flanges to the wall studs with screws. Any space between the shower front can be dressed out in vinyl cove or if you are tiling, this can be hidden with base tile.

Hope this helps!

Old 05-26-04, 05:25 AM
Toogy
Visiting Guest
Thanks!

A couple more questions

Is pre-mix joint compound the same as drywall compound?

And I also seem to have another problem, I cannot remove the retainer ring that was installed over the drain once the shower pan was in place. I guess I should have made sure everything was level before I but on the retainer ring. Any idea on how to remove the base without wrecking something??

It is a MAXX brand shower enclosure, but I Can't even find a website for them to seek assistance.

Thanks

Old 05-26-04, 08:35 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Toogy,

Answer to #1 is yes.

Try this for answers to your other question.

For maintenance, installation or general technical queries about your MAAX products, we encourage you to contact us at:
Tel.: 1 877 438-6229
Fax: 1 866 819-1324
(418) 387-9086

http://www.maax.com/en/TechSupport/

Hope this helps!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: