caulk removal

Old 05-31-04, 04:58 PM
Curio's
Visiting Guest
caulk removal

I'm fixing up a house right now and the bathroom tub has horrible mildew. I read the responses on how to remove the old caulk and clean out the mildew.
My first question is, what if you don't know what kind of caulk was used in the original installation? Is there a better method to start with, wet rag, WD-40, etc.?
My second question is, what if the mildew and water damage has gotten behind the tub? Do you have to remove the entire tub and clean it out?
Any help is appreciated.

Old 05-31-04, 06:29 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It's called elbow grease! As you have read other articles posted here, razor blade, rag or WD 40 are all good items to try. What is there could be anything, latex, acrylic latex, silicone.

Water and bleach will take care of your mold and mildew. I doubt that there is any problem behind the tub as it has a flange that prevents water from getting behind it. If you have ceramic tile and it hasn't been taken care of properly, water damage may be an issue but you didn't say one way or the other. I there is a tub surround, 4 or 5 pc wall system and it needs caulking, then I would even consider replacement if you need to caulk it. If it has been awhile that this has required caulk, damage could be brewing behind it.

Good Luck!

Old 06-01-04, 05:29 AM
Curio's
Visiting Guest
Thanks. It's my first big DIY project; I'll need it!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: