furring bathroom wall

Old 07-04-04, 09:06 PM
hysterwv
Visiting Guest
furring bathroom wall

My replacement tub is about 1/2" shorter than my old one. I had to furr (shim) each of the walls on the short side of the tub by 1/4". This is an alcove install in a small bathroom (60"x82"). So my question is: will it be noticable if I transition from the shimmed studs to the unshimmed studs on the rest of the walls? I was thinking that 1/4" (probably closer to 3/16") may not be visible over 16" between studs (or even 32" if I have to). Any thoughts? I was hoping not to have to tear down all of my drywall just because I had to shim 1/4" around the tub.

TIA,
HysterWV

Old 07-05-04, 08:29 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tia,

The question is what are your intentions for finishing this area. If it were me, I would install everything right and then apply the next steps for what finish you desire.

In addition, if you don't know what is behind the existing walls now, for sure, then whatever you do may be creating a problem unseen until it is too late, i.e. mold and mildew, inadequate insulation, possibly not even a vapor barrier.

Are we talking tiled walls, surround, what? This would make a difference to me and I am sure to you as well.

Just a thought

Old 07-07-04, 12:49 PM
shaffe
Visiting Guest
i wouldn't pull it all off. tear off the drywall to the next stud beyond the tub. and fur it out 1/8". that'll give you a little "graduation." instead of jumping from 1/4" to nothing. the only place it'll be noticable is where the floor meets the wall and if you have some pattern on your floor that shows that the wall isn't square (i.e. a vinyl pattern with little squares). this is where 12" tiles are nice. a bathroom can be way out of square and it won't show up on the floor. hope that makes sense and helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: