Trying to add (very) small guest bathroom

Old 07-09-04, 10:26 AM
W
wsinno
Visiting Guest
Trying to add (very) small guest bathroom

I live in a 2 bed / 1 bath condo, where the bathroom is only accessible by an entry that leads to the master bedroom. I thus want to add a second bathroom, but the only space I have is a closet bordering the second bedroom, which is 66" by 59" (interior dimensions).

I know that this would be sufficient for a powder room (someone with the same plan already did this), but I would much prefer to build a guest bathroom with a shower, to accomodate weekend stayovers from friends. Is this anywhere near enough space to put a shower (a really small neoangle one, perhaps)? This would be only for guests, and would not be intended for extended use.

A contractor that I am asking for a bid from seems to think that it is possible, but I don't know whether the result will be at all useable or not. If you do think it is acceptable, do you have any examples of such designs?

Thanks,

Wael

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-04, 12:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You can get the diminsions of all the fixtures you intend to place in your new bathroom and DRAW them out on the floor of the closet with tape. This would give you a rough idea of how everything would look and how much floor space you will have left.

Old 07-09-04, 07:37 PM
Wael,

With what you propose, is this going to be acceptable per the Condo rules and Board? Before proceding further with this concept, ask first then go from there.

A neo angle shower of ample size is a 38 x 38. Smaller is just not functional.

By the time you place this within the area described you have no room for a 3 fixture bath. Do what majakdragon suggested and determine the entry and how the layout would be. Bear in mind the codes for bathrooms are like this,

21 inch clearance in front of the toilet minimum

21 inch clearance in front of vanity minimum

15 inch clearance to each side of toilet from the center of toilet (toilet needs 30 inch minimum width)

4 inch clearance from toilet tank to a vanity minimum

24 inch clearance in front of the shower opening minimum

By the time you add all this up, you appear to be out of room.

Hope this helps!

Old 07-10-04, 03:31 PM
W
wsinno
Visiting Guest
Thank you both for the replies. I have not checked with the condo board yet (I want to find something acceptable to me before I submit the plans), but there does not seem to be anything in the rules that would prohibit me from building a small bathroom. I know that building just a powder room is acceptable, so I doubt that this would be an issue.

A 38x38 neoangle shower will most definitely not fit. However, if I go with a 36x36 size, it seems like I could just about fit everything while still meeting the codes that Doug specified (my attempt at laying this out is at http://sinno.info/BathroomLayout.jpg ). This assumes a round front toilet (27"), a 36x36 neoangle shower, and a narrow vanity 23" (which I don't know is acceptable or not, but I can also look at corner sinks in that area too). If the attempted design has any major flaws, or if you think that it would just not be usable, please let me know.

Considering that the shower will be used infrequently, I wouldn't mind a 36x36 shower - I think having it would be much better than settling for just a powder room, which is the only alternative. I will go ahead and follow majakdragon's suggestion, to see what it would be like (I will need to remove some existing shelving first).

Again, thank you for the information.

Wael.

Old 07-10-04, 04:07 PM
Wael,

Looks good! Do it! True the 36x36 is small but if that's ok with you, go ahead.

Good Luck!

Old 07-16-04, 12:20 PM
S
showerguy
Visiting Guest
Testing The Size

I am assuming you plan to go with a one-piece shower base - especially since you are in a condo with responsibility to your neighbors.

Don't forget that a 36 x 36 Neo Angle shower is 36 x 36 on the outside from the studs. When you are checking your space like majakdragon suggested, make sure you allow for the fact that you will lose about 5/8" at the wall sides and about 2 1/4" on the glass and door sides. So your usable space will be more like 33" than 36". You can figure on a 25" span for the diagonal side and around 17 3/4" for the side glass sides.

Doug is right about a 38" being the smallest comfortable size for a Neo Angle shower. One thing that can get you a little more space, is if your glass enclosure is slightly adjustable, move it as far out to the outside edge of the curb as possible instead of following the instructions which always say to center it on the curb. Most kits have enough play in them to compensate for the extra length needed on the two glass sides to mount it like this.

You can also get a custom glass company to do it for you and tell them to get it as close to the outside edge as they can if space is more important than price.

Good luck on your project !