Remove paint from bathtub

Old 07-26-04, 10:00 AM
ukaggirl
Visiting Guest
Remove paint from bathtub

My husband and I are in the process of remodeling our bathroom and it is now in total demolition! The only thing left is the bathtub which I believe is porceleine over steel. We would like to keep this tub because of it's quality, but it has been painted an off-white color and is chipping very badly. Is it possible to remove this paint without damaging the underlying porcelein? Any tips would be appreciated! Thanks!!

Angela

Old 07-26-04, 10:18 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Aircraft paint remover in the blue can or any paint remover that will remove epoxy. Make sure it is a gel and don't get any on anything other than the tub. Wear a mask and rubber gloves open the window. It will not damage the porcelan. My advice is to get a new tub. You will have to get someone in to refinish it[$300 +} unless the people just painted a perfctly good tub and the original color is what you want. I am assuming you meant you have a cast iron tub. Check out the prices before you do anything. Make sure it will fit nicely in the space you have. It never pays to refinish a standard sized bathtub if you are remodeling the whole bathroom.If you are going to get it refinished anyway let the guy that is going to refinish it strip it. He will be responsible for any peeling. Painting a bathtub is a very viable alternative in an existing finished bathroom. If done properly it will not peel and will look good indefinitely if cared for properly.

Old 07-27-04, 07:46 AM
ukaggirl
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the advise. I'm not sure if using paint thinner is a good idea because the bathroom is very small and there is no window. Also, we have a septic tank and I don't want to damage it with chemicals that might leak down the drain. Do you think a heat gun for paint removal would damage the porcelein? We're not sure why the tub was painted but would like to see if it is damaged before we replace it totally. Also, we're not sure if we can get a new tub into the bathroom without completely removing one wall.

Old 07-27-04, 08:39 AM
J
Put a fan in the room and blow the fumes out the door.Put a plug un the drain if you want. Put the stripper on follow the directions and don't overwork it as you are putting it on.Leave it on as long as posible as long as it stays wet. Collect all the paint and stripper in a paper bag with a metal scraper and dispose of it.Use an after wash to clean up any residue Using a heatgun will also produce fumes. I would not go that route, heat does funny things to paint, use the stripper, wear a mask and rubber gloves. Ask the dude in the paint store if they have a "safe" paint remover that will remove epoxy. I am assuming it is epoxy , if it isn't any good paint remover will work but I still prefer a stripper that works on epoxy.

Old 07-27-04, 10:07 AM
J
Just strip the front half or the whole bottom of the tub and see what it looks like. If it is ok strip the rest if not either replace or let the refinisher strip it so his work will be guarenteed not to peel.

Old 07-28-04, 07:00 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Do you know what kind of paint you're dealing with? If it's a latex, it should come off fairly easily. Get a plastic 'putty knife' and one of those plastic sanding pads (course grit) in the paint section of your hardware store and see if the putty knife will scrape off the old paint - or most of it, anyway. When you've gotten all you can with the putty knife, use the sanding pad.

The plastic tools won't hurt the porcelein whether it's on steel or cast iron. You can do this dry, but I've found that using a spray bottle with water or a cleaner like Simple Green helps loosen the paint and keeps down the 'dust'.

What color are the chipped areas? I they're black, the porcelein has chipped off the base metal and should be repaired. If the tub is steel, it would probably be better to just replace it rather than invest a lot of time and energy in trying to fix it.

Old 07-28-04, 08:04 AM
J
Don't use sandpaper on your tub. Especially course sandpaper. If it is good now it won't be after you sand it.It never really entered my mind that it could be water based paint,but I guess all things are possible. You can use a plastic tool to remove the stripper[like what body shop guys put on bondo with] but have extras on hand in case they melt. Probably a better choice than metal.

Old 07-28-04, 10:14 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I'm not suggesting sandpaper - lol. You're right that it would trash the porcelein.

I'm talking about those green plastic pads made by 3M that come in various levels of coarseness. They're great for something like this.

Old 07-28-04, 10:14 AM
ukaggirl
Visiting Guest
I'm not exactly sure what kind of paint it is but it is fairly thin. I have been picking little by little at it over time. The tub underneath is white. The paint comes off a little bit when I use my steamer, but that method takes forever! Thanks for all the tips...this will be my project for the weekend so I'll let you know how it turns out.

Old 07-28-04, 11:59 AM
J
sorry 'bout that .If you use a 3m scrubby stick to the white ones they are the least abrasive and probably won't harm your tub. The course ones will. Sounds like you have epoxy paint [Klenks]. Use the stripper on the bottom to check out the condition of the tub. Keep in mind that it will almost definitely not match any color toilet or sink you can buy today. Even the same brand will not match in all likelyhood

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: