Powder room layout

Old 08-02-04, 08:53 AM
nina
Visiting Guest
Powder room layout

We are try to layout the small powder room space we have. The space we have is 55" by 40". we can possibly extend it out to 55" by 48". We are open to the space saving fixture such as corner units. Don't know how to maximize the use of the space. Please help!

Old 08-03-04, 04:24 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Nina,

The size is just one factor of the existing room. What you have sounds too tight. Here are some other things to thinks about. Save saving fixtures like corner sink may be an option but in practicality are not a good idea as they are not very functional nor appealing.

A clear walkway of at least 32 inches must be provided at all entrances to the bathroom. (Sometimes this is just not feasible due to existing conditions)

No doors may interfere with fixtures. (You have to allow room for people to turn around and to get in and out the bathroom easily)

If the floor space exists between two fixtures, at least six inches of space should be provided for cleaning.

At least 21 inches of clear walkway space exists in front of lavatory.

The minimum clearance from the lavatory centerline to any sidewall is 12 inches.

At least 21 inches of clear walkway space exists in front of toilet.

Toilet paper holder is installed within reach of person seated on the toilet. Ideal location is slightly in front of the edge of toilet bowl, the center of which is 26 inches above the finished floor.

Hope this helps!

Old 08-03-04, 07:01 AM
nina
Visiting Guest
Thank you, Doug! If I do the side-by-side fixture arrangement, the length of the toilet is about 26 1/2", plus 21", that gives me 47 1/2". That bearly fits the 48" side. We can have the door swing out to the hallway, which is 3'6" wide. What do you think?

Old 08-03-04, 07:06 AM
Nina,

Don't forget to give some room behind the toilet. Swing the door out into the hallway is permissable but sometimes can be a nuisance.

Draw it out on paper and see what you got. Got any 1/4" graph paper?

Hope this helps!

Old 08-03-04, 11:32 AM
nina
Visiting Guest
Maybe a corner sink with the door swinging in. Is that better?

Old 08-03-04, 11:50 AM
Nina,

It doesn't really matter what you put in there as long as you're happy with it.

I wouldn't put in a corner sink myself as I said, they are too small. A door swinging in would be better but your space dictates that this will be too tight based on the rules I mentioned.

It's a powder room and sometimes your choices are just limited. You may have to disregard "common" rules to accommodate what you want.

Hope this helps!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: