Wet Room

Old 08-17-04, 11:58 AM
griva
Visiting Guest
Wet Room

We would like to build a wet room in our basement that has a poured concrete floor and walls - right now totally unfinished.

I already found the information about how to build the wet room on the second floor of the house, for examle. So I would like to ask, do I need to implement all the layers that are needed to waterproof the tiled floor on the second floor, even if our wet room will be built in the basement on a concrete slab?

If anyone have done a similar project - would you please share your experience?

Thank you

g

Old 08-18-04, 07:40 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
griva,

Building a wet room whether it be on a wood frame or in a basement still requires the means to ensure that moisture is not going to be escaping to areas that you do not want getting wet. Water damage could be extreme.

I would suggest implementing all that you have collected, walls, ceiling and floor. Good exhaust fan is essential. I want to stress that grout is NOT WATERPROOF nor is sealing it routinely won't ensure that it remains so. The damage that can be incurred will be great.

For keeping everything dry and avoiding any mold and mildew from taking over, do it right and enjoy it!

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Doug Aleshire; 08-18-04 at 08:00 AM.
Old 08-18-04, 07:58 AM
P
Doug - I think you might have meant to say that grout is NOT waterproof.

Old 08-18-04, 08:02 AM
PenguinDave,

Thanks for the heads up! Must be old age or all this drawing I'm doing.

Nice to know someone catches me at a mistake here and there. I'm not perfect but I'm consistent!

Thanks!

Old 08-18-04, 12:51 PM
griva
Visiting Guest
Thank you very much for your response.
g

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: