How do I do this? -Bathrm storage unit

Old 09-17-04, 05:35 AM
mayfletcher
Visiting Guest
How do I do this? -Bathrm storage unit

I have bought one of those free standing storage units (wood) that you assemble and put over the toilet. The area where it is is half wall and half bathroom tile. the bathroom tile comes about half way up the back of the bottom part of the unit.

The instructions recommend bolting the unit to the wall... obviously so it does not tip over. I am renting and am not comfortable with "bolting" something to the wall.

Is there any other alternative you can suggest that won't damage the wall but will solve this problem.

Thanks

Old 09-17-04, 11:49 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I don't think they have any heavy bolts in mind, something as small as a #10 screw (3/16" diameter) would do the trick. If you can find the studs in the wall I'd just put #10 screws into 2 studs (one on either side of the cabinet) and using something like a picture hanger or similar hook, run some wire from one screw, onto the cabinet, to the other screw. It's not like this actually has to hold any heavy weight, just keep the unit from tipping.

"Just renting" doesn't mean you can't do enough similar modifications to make the place habitable. When I had a bunch of rentals I had it in my lease that I would hang all pictures for my tenants, and that if they put Christmas lights up on the fascia they had to be stapled. I found that most tenants only purchased 10 penny nails (about 3 1/2" long) for hanging everything, thereby leaving lots of sheetrock repair for me. This shouldn't leave any more noticeable holes than hanging a 20" X 28" picture would.

Frank

Old 09-23-04, 07:29 PM
mayfletcher
Visiting Guest
Found a solution

Someone at the hardware store suggested heavy-duty velcro. I decided to try it and it has worked. Thanks for your advice

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: