Bathroom fan Noise

Old 09-20-04, 08:33 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bathroom fan Noise

I just had a new bathroom fan installed. Initially the contractor had the fan exhaust through a 10 foot cylindrical tube into the attic. At this point the fan was extremely quiet.

When I insisted that the contractor exhaust the fan to the outside, the fan noise increased dramatically. I noticed that the contractor used flexible tubing to connect the end of the 10 ft. tube to the outside wall. Also, the outside wall is covered with a plastic piece with 6 or so slats that open when the bathroom fan is on, and close when the fan is off.

What is causing the increase in noise. I would say the noise doubled or tripled after the fan was properly exhausted.

What is interesting is that I had an old fan that simply exhausted into the attic before that was extremeley loud. I went out and bought a very quiet Broan fan, with a low sonnes rating. But now I feel that I have the same level of noise that I had before.

Any help is appreciated.

Barry

Old 09-20-04, 09:48 AM
Barry,

It's possible that the length of the ducting is now too far, creating a tunnel that cannot exhaust the air as freely. You're getting "feedback" for lack of a better word.

Check the manufacturers installation directions for more info or call the manufacturer for tech support.

Good Luck!

Old 09-29-04, 11:05 AM
Great Advice. I called Broan and confirmed that the flexible tubing was probably the trouble. I had the contractor replace the flexible tubing and the noise did decrease a bit. The contractor did put in some 90 elbows, which I believe is preventing the fan from being whisper quiet, but the level of noise is now acceptable.

I'll just live with it now.

THanks for your help

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: