Shower Pan

Old 10-07-04, 09:44 AM
maks
Visiting Guest
Shower Pan

I have a plywood subfloor.
I'm going to install the shower and do the ceramic tile later.

Should I cover the area under the shower pan (fiberglass) with cement board?

Thank you
Max

Old 10-07-04, 04:52 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
maks,

No need but when you place the shower pan follow the directions per the manufacture for installation. Lack of support causes squeaks, in some cases leaks at drain pipe fittings and worst of all cracks in the finish material. Most manufacturers recommend or suggest installing a mortar base support under the shower bottom before setting the base in place. You can use either a bag of Quikcrete or a 5 gallon pail of pre-mix joint compound. ( usually I use the pre-mix 5 gallon...lazy and it's less mess) You can lay poly down under the shower prior to doing this to prevent any moisture issues while this is drying.

When this sets up, usually with 24-48 hours, your shower bottom will be rock solid supported. This does 2 things, prevents any possibility of potential cracking within the fiberglass/acrylic and eliminates any movement at the drain assembly or potential leaks that could happen.

Hope this helps!

Old 10-08-04, 12:27 PM
maks
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Could you give more details on that poly and misture issues?
Is it under or over mortar?

Thank you,
Max

Old 10-08-04, 12:32 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
maks,

The thing that I do is lay 6 mil poly down over the subfloor directly under my tub or shower before I dump the 5 gallon pail of joint compound on top of this. Since this is a pre-mix - there is very little water in it to cause any problems but for most clients, this just provides reassurance. In addition this prevents any joint compound dropping into the basement if you happen to have the 1x4 or 6 diagonal planking subfloor when placing it under your unit.

Nothing really to it but you won't regret using the joint compound as it provides a sound base support under your tub or shower when dry. Some ask, "If the joint compound gets wet, does it all turn to mush?" No! It takes allot of water to do this and there will not be any problems. Noone, nor my clients or others have ever had any problems with that occuring.

Once you have this down, level your unit, attach to the studs and let it sit as outlined before. Ensure that the shower base front edge is resting on the floor or as close as possible. This will be based on any imperfections with your existing floor. Regardless of any gaps, the front lip can have vinyl base moulding or ceramic tile applied for a great finished look.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Doug Aleshire; 10-08-04 at 12:44 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: