Bathtub deck

Old 10-15-04, 06:07 AM
Gotcha
Visiting Guest
Bathtub deck

I'm in the midst of a major bathroom remodel & I plan on installing an old clawfoot tub into a deck. I don't have the feet for the tub so I'm planning on building a couple of cradles out of lumber to raise it up to the desired height and get it level. My question is regarding the width of the deck on the front of the tub. I'm trying to make this bathroom as elderly friendly as possible since we plan on living here the rest of our lives so....anyone have any suggestions on how wide the front surface of the deck should be? Would a wide deck, that you could sit on and swing your legs over into the tub, be best or should I keep it as narrow as possible? The finished height of the deck will be about 19" so I don't plan on installing a step. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-04, 09:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gotcha,

Depending on how you finish the deck surface, I would suggest 12" to 14" deck front. This is safe for sitting and swinging your legs into the tub. Less than that it's not wide enough to sit on the ledge since the clawfoot has a relatively large tub lip on it's own. More than than and it will be difficult to get in and out.

Most displays show tubs with 6" - 8" lips and as you can tell, they would be difficult to sit on. The issue is to look at finished height and determine the size lip that would be "comfortable and safe". The other issue is placement of the spout and faucets.

Hope this helps!

Old 10-16-04, 06:24 AM
Gotcha
Visiting Guest
Thanks Doug! I plan on using ceramic tile on the deck surface and the faucet will be wall mounted into the front of the tub. There will be a solid wall at both ends of the tub but the back wall has a window in it that will be just slightly above the surface of the deck, tub centered under window. I certainly don't want anyone falling into the glass so I guess I need to keep the deck width on the ends rather short so that grab bars placed on the end walls would be within easy reach.

Old 10-16-04, 06:28 AM
Gotcha,

You're welcome!

You got it covered!

Good Luck!

Old 10-17-04, 07:09 PM
Gotcha,

Keep in mind, building code requires windows over tub decks to have tempered glass.

Good luck!