Corian materials supplier sought

Old 10-15-04, 10:30 AM
jacobsonp
Visiting Guest
Corian materials supplier sought

Being an experienced woodworker, I would like to build bathroom cabinets with a solid surface counter top. My local Corian suppliers are unwilling or unable to supply the necessary proprietary adhesive or material, claiming that doing so would violate their distribution agreement. At one time I had seen a source listed in one of the woodworker magazines, but I can't seem to find it now. Please post a reply or email if you can suggest a lead.
Thanks, Philip

Old 10-15-04, 09:02 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Philip,

That's a tough one. I know that they are very protective of their product and those that have the "rights" paid for them. If you are serious about doing this, contact Dupont and inquire.

If you care not too, keep looking, you might find someone.

Good luck!

Old 10-15-04, 09:14 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Red face Laymans Suggestion

Hello: Philip

Suggestion:

Instead of trying to buy the adhesive from a dealer, how about buying it from a tradesman in the industry. If dealers only sell to tradesman in the industry, buying it from one of them for this one time usage for your own purposes. Seems like an alternative that would be a good idea, rather than having no adhesive at all or using the wrong type.

Ask a tradesman. Must be at least one in your area whom has an extra tube or two maybe three or more to sell... Equally so, the countertop material too.

Regards & Good Luck
Sharp Advice
Web Site Host & Forums Monitor

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 10-15-04, 10:51 PM
jacobsonp
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the replies! Although most of the suppliers I've contacted aren't very receptive to a do it yourselfer, I am hopeful about one lead in particular. What's the story anyway? I got a small sample from a local cabinet shop, that wasn't sold on the solid surface option, claiming it was difficult to cut, however I had no problem cutting or routing it using carbide blades and cutters. When I got the sample the edges looked as if the cabinet shop used a hand held router. The proper equipment makes all the difference. A router table with pinch wheels or a featherboard to keep the workpiece against the fence or a good straightedge guide makes for easy work. Are the dealers trying to protect their market by not selling to the public? $150 and up / lin. ft. +or- installed seems awful pricey. Could it be a liability issue that requires the fabricator/installer to be certified? If you're interested in further developments post a reply or email me. Philip

Old 10-17-04, 01:30 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Corian

Corian only sells to distributors and dealers who have been trained and licensed by Corian to install their product.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: